Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using an \"Accusharp\" on a Gladius?
Robert you have an excellent point, these swords need to be sharpened more than just at the edge, as they are rather blocky in the sense that in order to have such a very thick blunt blade, the whole sword overall must be thick and therefore weighty.

I will in the future look into a Del Tin or Albion Gladius. Getting a 2 lb sword, maybe heavier to be an effective cutting blade just isn't ideal
Quintus Furius Collatinus

-Matt
Matt, you are better off with a Del Tin or an Albion. As Robert said, you have to take off a lot of metal to get the right cross section and weight. I have a "off the shelf" Indian spatha that has the handling charistics of a 3 foot Sea Bass. I am lucky because Albion has a similar demention "bare blade" that I can replace it with. Obviously this is something I can't take to any reenactment, where dull blades DO make a LOT of sense. Watch that Pilum also. Those points on either end are just as dangerous as the real thing, because there are close and accurate copies of the real thing, which literally killed hundreds of thousands of people. We will never know how many.

You can sharpen an Indian gladius or spatha with a coarse shapening block as an educational endevor, to get the right weight and blade geometry, but the end product wont be of any real quality. Real swords are not really "razor sharp" either. There is no point to it. As Robert mentions for an example, a kitchen knife, is about what you want. Albion swords come at that level of sharpness and that is the best deal. The classic Conan the Barbarian shows the best and authentic sowrd scenes IMHO. THe actors had basic traing in Kenjitsu to be able to do that. Kill Bill is a no-no. Any classic Samurai flick is usually good, but none of these are in the Roman style, of course.

You live in the US so there should be no legal problem with anything. Call Albion, they will tell you where they can ship to, and where they cant.

Ralph
You could also get Matt Lukes to make you one. That is if you are interested in a top class well researched reproduction which gets as close to the real thing as one can.

Frankly, the Indians often as not do use a very reasonable steel for their reproductions, but totaly balls it up in the crafting. Total waste of good metal, that. Rat tail tangs or, even worse, threaded rods welded on, no distal taper, blades twice the weight of what they should be because of too much mass caused by the very, very blunt edges. They claim to be under the restruction of law which does not allow them to produce sharp edged objects, but this is a bad excuse for even worse craftsmanship. I have tried guiding a firm there to no avail at all and gave given up in total disgust. A blade can look sharp but not be sharp to the point where it will cut. A "cutting" edge of 0.2 mm is totaly blunt, but does save weight in the blade in a spectacular way over an edge of 1 mm like the Indians make them.
If you consider an upgrade of any Indian blade which has a forged tang and a wide shoulder (do not waste any time on rat-tailed junk!), give it a spark test. You may be surprised at the nice medium carbon or spring steel they used. If you want to save yourself a lot of trouble and want to own a sword worth a makers mark, drop Matt or Albion a mail. Not cheap, but you will have a sword worth owning.

Then there is this: If you swing even a very dull blade at someone, be assured there will be a lot of blunt trauma imparted. Then, there is the sword point, which is always sharp enough to pierce. Swords are weapons and should be handled as such.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
I have just noticed this:
http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?...oman+Pugio

I have not seen this before and do not know if this is a new product or not, but it is new to KoA. Note that it is not cheap. It also has a dull edge or KoA sharpening option. This has a bit less of a waist than the standard repo pugion that most of us are used to, but I think it is within at least one standard diviation. Anyway, I ordered one.

Out of curiosity I am calling KoA tomorrow and ask how they do their sharpening. I may or may not do this option depending.

I measured my Deepeeka Brass Beaded pugio sheath and if the Del Tin measurments are correct, it will fit although how well, is to be seen. I, Gaius Decius, have dropped the considerable coins on one, so if it does not fit, you will know and you will not have to take the chance.

When all is said and done I will let you know how all this worked out. Now, in theory, (local laws permitting) you can have a set of sharp galdius and pugio if you are so inclined. Two sets of blades, one set of sheaths and belts.

Ralph
Quote:

Out of curiosity I am calling KoA tomorrow and ask how they do their sharpening. I may or may not do this option depending.

Do let us know about KoA's sharpening. From what I have read on a SBG forum they do not sharpen the sword "in house" and send it off to be sharpened, I believe Windlass I read, but I am not sure

-Matt
I read your post after I talked to the rep from KoA. This what I got, and in summary as I understand it. (legal disclaimer if I got anything wrong.) They use a belt sander, and try to get the angle correct for the blade. The rep indicated they do spend a bit of time getting it right. From the contex of the conversation it seems they do it it house. At one point they did send them out to (redacted for liability.) but did not like the results, so they quit doing that. He also told me the Del Tin blade is much thinner than the Deepeeeka and more in sinc with the originals. Significantly, he said even if the blade is sharpened and you do not like it, you can return it. I am going to have them do a sharpening for me. I saw no reason from what I was told, to not go ahead and have it done. THe KoA rep took his time, gave me the impression that they wanted to do things right. I can always use a stone and microfiber sheets to do a touch up if I want.

Ralph
Gaius, I forgot to ask, what kind of Gladius do you have? Who makes it? Be sure to give a before and after report!

-Matt