Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Obenaltendorf Shoes
Obernaltendorf, a comparatively well know bog find from more than a century ago, brought up a quite fragmented pair of one piece shoes in a style typically attributed to Germanic tribes. The pair was still substantial enough to allow a good guess of what they looked like in some detail. According to Hahne (H. Hahne, Moorleichenfunde aus Niedersachsen. Vorzeitfunde aus Niedersachsen Teil B (frühere Bezeichnung: Band VI) (Hildesheim 1915)) conservation was rather unprofessional, resulting in one shoe being about 3 cm longer than the other!
It took me a bit of fiddling with the design to get the proportions and position of the tabs as I wanted them per what is left from the original so that it "felt right."
There are a few other finds that show similar style and decorative features, not only from bogs and up north, also from the Saalburg area e.g. The dating is roughly 2nd - 4th century AD.
For pics see https://www.facebook.com/leatherworkthro...3144834104
They should see their first action this weekend, so curious to hear what the wearer and new owner reports back!
nice work again Martin as usual,

will probably have some questions after I "digest" things
-----------------
Gelu I.
www.terradacica.ro
www.porolissumsalaj.ro