Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Show here your Byzantine warrior impression
Quote:Hellenic Horseback Archery Society from a traditional archery meeting in Konstantinoupoli.
Late Byzantine Era Archers
Interesting? Where's Konstantinoupoli located?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Constantinople is a Roman city built on the same location as the Greek city of Byzantiο, established by Byzantas (son of Zeus) at 7th century bc :-)
Antonis Aliades

KORYVANTES Association
So thats where Konstantinoupoli is!! :-P
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
So far the Greek horse archers have experience of shooting from horseback but without re-enactment gear. Byzantine reconstruction was done for the event and except chitons and some shoes and bows all other equipment was provided by D. Katsikis the "koryvantes" armorer. But the future is theirs!

[attachment=4275]anatolianmilita.jpg[/attachment]

Anatolian militia from 500 to 1300 AD. Professor Dawson favors the turban but other headgear existed.

[attachment=4276]officer13.jpg[/attachment]

Horsarcher officer. Armor reconstructed from a 13th century image of St Mercurios.

[attachment=4277]mourtatos.jpg[/attachment]

Well equiped officer of "mourtatoi" infantry archers. Helemt come from contemporary engravings and armor from 14th century hagiography from Mount Athos

[attachment=4278]bluecircusfraction.jpg[/attachment]

Blue circus fraction militia of 5th to 7th century. He made the mistake to put a 2-headed eagle though!

[attachment=4279]militia.jpg[/attachment]

12th century reconstructed from Capadokian mural. The armor piece is till puzzling.

[attachment=4280]constmil1.jpg[/attachment]

The last defenders of Constantinople. Its debatable if the emperors personal service troops carried the eagle. He is equipped with western armor courtesy of the imperial household.

[attachment=4281]scutatarch.jpg[/attachment]

Rear ranks archer 9th to 11th century . He might have worn ahelmet and carried a mace
or an axe (tzikoyrion).

Kind regards

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Quote:The armour is excellent! Nice to see the images in the metal!
How is arm movement with the shoulder armour? Free and easy?

??
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:
Robert Vermaat post=314245 Wrote:
hoplite14gr post=314223 Wrote:Hellenic Horseback Archery Society from a traditional archery meeting in Konstantinoupoli.
Late Byzantine Era Archers
Interesting? Where's Konstantinoupoli located?
Constantinople is a Roman city built on the same location as the Greek city of Byzantiο, established by Byzantas (son of Zeus) at 7th century bc :-)
the one and the same? You can do Byzantine reeenactment near Istanbul??
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Quote:So far the Greek horse archers have experience of shooting from horseback but without re-enactment gear. Byzantine reconstruction was done for the event and except chitons and some shoes and bows all other equipment was provided by D. Katsikis the "koryvantes" armorer. But the future is theirs!.jpg[/attachment]
Very nice to see these!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Indeed.....
I have plans for a Varangian impression on tha cards.
I have some authentic elements in place... Wink

Yes, and again, I was wondering about the freedom of movement with that excellent reconstruction of the armour, I have only seen in images and book??
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
The archers in fotos, were able to hit targets in 100 meters distance during the Archery Festival. The team received 2 of the highest distinctions of the Tournament, against competitors with no armor...

This proves that the armor is fully functional with excelent freedom of movement.

Please keep in mind that in order to build functional armour, you need an armourer, not a simple technician. This is the case of Dimitris katsikis whose work is presented in Dumbarton Oaks Museum (University of Harvard, Washington DC)
http://us1.campaign-archive.com/?u=02b07...3b37297de7

The armor of the Horsarcher officer(froma a 13th century image of St Mercurios) is a very unique armor, never presented before.
Antonis Aliades

KORYVANTES Association
Quote:A better view of Dimitris' Masterpiece worn by his distinguished client:

Thanks Adonis. Confusedmile:

Just for clarification, is this you in this armour, to which I was querying?
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Ave Caesar :-)

I am not in any fotos of the Byzantine armor. The one that Stefanos first mentioned (A better view of Dimitris' Masterpiece worn by his distinguished client) belongs to an Italian reenactor.

I have plans to built a Byzantine armor for me, since my family heritage is found in the Stradioti Units, as deployed by Venice just before the collapse of Byzantine Empire

Spyros, who wear the strange cyclic armor of St Mercurios in the Turkish Archery Tournament, is the president of KORYVANTES Association
Antonis Aliades

KORYVANTES Association
Quote:I have plans to built a Byzantine armor for me, since my family heritage is found in the Stradioti Units, as deployed by Venice just before the collapse of Byzantine Empire
DO show us when you're ready. I'm very interested in this part of the world, and it's very good to see that out of the 'mainstream' re-enactment we see ever more recreation of other periods. Well done!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Thanks Adonis!
I am half Greek, and interested in this period for it's influence on Greece itself.
I can only trace my family back to the Independance!
I have been trying to put kit together of a Varangian guard impression, and these pictures have given me inspiration.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Ave Ceasar,

if you need help on building the Varangian impression, contact me

we have an extended cycle of experts to assist you

Adonis
Antonis Aliades

KORYVANTES Association
Thank you! I will indeed! Confusedmile:
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Getting towards a Byzantine impression in the Netherlands, svdwal 2 723 02-19-2019, 07:08 AM
Last Post: svdwal
  Show here your Greek warrior impression spyros 1,103 434,159 08-21-2016, 07:24 AM
Last Post: emilius