Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Books and stuff
As I said in the new recruits section, I am reading William Altimari's book Legion. Good read so far though just got past the part where the gladiator took the young Gaul to the woods for some R&R. Yikes! It was unexpected! I have read most Roman Historical books I could get my hands on but have a few questions...<br>
<br>
Loved Eagle in the Snow and I see the Legate's Daughter has just been rereleased here in the States. Anyone read this one? Wondering if its a good pickup!<br>
<br>
Also, If Simon Scarrow is about, any possibility of getting a publisher or distributor(whatever it would be) to get your books published in the States? I read the first two and loved them but the shipping costs from Britain are almost like paying for a book itself!<br>
<br>
I also saw that goffredo posted about two books in Italian by Guido Cervo called the Roman Legate and the Invincible Legion. Anybody know if there is any possibility of an English version of these to come out?<br>
<br>
Lastly(Phew!)I just purchased Adrian Goldsworthy's book "The Complete Roman Army". I also thought to purchase his book " The Roman Army at War 100 BC - Ad 200. I hesitated as I am wondering how much of the information is similiar in the two books or if they are worth a seperate purchase. Thanks for any info in advance!! <p></p><i></i>
He seems to have a genius for getting publishers to print variations on a theme and inevitably there is a lot of repitition. I would not buy 2 of his books on the same period. <p></p><i></i>
Quod imperatum fuerit facimus et ad omnem tesseram parati erimus
I had also purchased "The Battle that Stopped Rome" before I saw the bad review on this site. And Following Hadrian. <p></p><i></i>
A number of Simon's books are available through Amazon.com. <p>Legio XX<br>
Fortius Conamur<br>
<br>
</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Yes, the time lag in publication between the UK and the US is a drag. As Richard says, Amazon.com have the third book out in hardback in Feb. Seems so odd when I am tucking into the sixth book that the third is not yet out in the US... <p></p><i></i>
What is the reason for the lag? Makes little sense to me. I could see maybe a 6 month lag but this is ridiculous! <p></p><i></i>
Books from Oxbow.com:<br>
<br>
"Rubicon: The Triumph and Tragedy of the Roman Republic" by Tom Holland<br>
(Little Brown, hardback, 2003) £20.00<br>
*** OXeN Special Price £18.00 ***<br>
www.oxbowbooks.com/bookin...7/MID/7557<br>
<br>
"The Roman Banquet: Images of Conviviality" by Katherine Dunbabin<br>
(Cambridge University Press, hardback, 2003) £60.00<br>
*** OXeN Special Price £54.00 ***<br>
www.oxbowbooks.com/bookin...8/MID/7557<br>
<br>
"Roman Syria and the Near East" by Kevin Butcher<br>
(British Museum Press, hardback, 2003) £25.00<br>
*** OXeN Special Price £22.50 ***<br>
www.oxbowbooks.com/bookin...5/MID/7557<br>
<br>
"Gladiators at Pompeii" by Luciana Jacobelli<br>
(L'Erma di Bretschneider, hardback, 2003) £28.50<br>
*** OXeN Special Price £25.50 ***<br>
www.oxbowbooks.com/bookin...1/MID/7557<br>
<br>
Valete,<br>
Valerius/Robert <p></p><i></i>
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
It's down to the US publishers. They waited to see how sales went in the UK before buying into the series. By the time the paperback figures were in for UNDER THE EAGLE, the UK series had moved onto the second book. The deal was done with St Martins and their edition of the first book came out the following Christmas. So there's your 18 month delay for you.<br>
Sorry, but there's nowt to do about it... beyond patronising amazon.co.uk.<br>
Simon <p></p><i></i>
I may just have to suck it up and order from Amazon. I have an account there but rarely order because of shipping...Thanks Simon! <p></p><i></i>