Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Topographical error in Ammianus
If I recall correctly, there is a topographical error in Ammianus' account of the siege of Amida; he says that something is to the left of something else, while in fact it is on the right, or the other way round. It is remarkable, because he was present during the siege.

Unfortunately, I have given my copy to someone (who?) and cannot find my note again. I think it is also mentioned in the introduction of the Penguin translation. Does anyone know which line I am referring too?
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Rings a bell!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:something is to the left of something else, while in fact it is on the right, or the other way round.

Overturning history yet again, eh? Wink

I think you might mean the actual site of the city itself. Ammianus tells us that: "on the south side it is washed by the winding course of the Tigris, which rises nearby; where it faces the blasts of Eurus it looks down on Mesopotamia's plains" (Book XVIII, Chapter 9).

Dodgeon (in The Roman eastern frontier and the Persian Wars p.389) writes: "Ammianus' description of Amida needs to be reordered for it to agree with basic topographical factors. The Tigris washes the eastern (and not the southern) side of the city and the plains of Mesopotamia lay to the south (and not the east)."

Michael Grant goes further: "Ammianus Marcellinus' memory of the topography of Amida is wrong in almost every respect." (Greek and Roman Historians: Information and Misinformation, p.72) Confusedhock:

Does that sound like the bit you remembered?
Nathan Ross
Quote:Does that sound like the bit you remembered?
Thanks pal.
Jona Lendering
My website
There is a nice article on the topography of Amida with regards to watermill batteries in the vicinity:

Wilson, A. I. “Water-mills at Amida: Ammianus Marcellinus 18.8.11”, Classical Quarterly 51.1 (2001): 231-6.: http://users.ox.ac.uk/~corp0057/water-mi...0amida.pdf
Stefan (Literary references to the discussed topics are always appreciated.)
Of course Ammianus viewpoint of his world was a bit different to ours as surviving maps appear to show their world upside down to ours. And we have to take into account another factor, it probably was in the best interest of Ammianus not to give a totally accurate description of locales, cities etc as he probably was aware that it was not only Romans who were potentially going to read/hear his his history, all kinds of potential enemies may have gleaned useful information if it were totally accurate.
Adrian Coombs-Hoar
Quote:Of course Ammianus viewpoint of his world was a bit different to ours as surviving maps appear to show their world upside down to ours. And we have to take into account another factor, it probably was in the best interest of Ammianus not to give a totally accurate description of locales, cities etc as he probably was aware that it was not only Romans who were potentially going to read/hear his his history, all kinds of potential enemies may have gleaned useful information if it were totally accurate.
@map, Ammianus would have known his wind directions like anyone else. It would not have been his concept of a map that would have made him err, but more likely a bad momory.
@readers, since Amida had fallen to the Persians, it would have made no difference whatsoever - he did not exactly disclose secret information! Big Grin
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:Ammianus would have known his wind directions like anyone else. It would not have been his concept of a map that would have made him err, but more likely a bad memory.
That is what I am thinking too: bad memory. There is an interesting parallel in Herodotus' description of Thermopylae. He also confuses the wind directions.
Jona Lendering
My website
When Ammianus completed his history, sometime between 390AD-395AD, his audience would have included both Romans and Goth's. The Goth's were stationed all over the East at this stage, having been based there as early as 376AD when Valen's began hiring Goth's for his proposed invasion of Sasanid Persia. Whilst there is strong evidence to suggest that Ammianus memory was at fault, he was afterall writing nearly 40 years after the siege of Amida, he may well have deliberatly made errors not wishing to give too true an account of the cities defences and layout.
Adrian Coombs-Hoar
Quote:he may well have deliberatly made errors not wishing to give too true an account of the cities defences and layout.
Are there other examples of military writers deliberately making errors?
Jona Lendering
My website
My instinct is that a general concern for "operational security" is a very modern idea. When the ancient sources talk about security, its usually "post guards and scouts to keep enemy spies away" or "the general makes his plan and tells nobody". The type of information ancient historians record about geography is the kind you could get from any merchant who travelled the area for a few drachmas of wine and sausages.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  more Ammianus Marcellinus self-contradictions inkstain 22 4,448 08-13-2014, 10:27 AM
Last Post: Nathan Ross
  Ammianus and the Dura graffito translation error? Urselius 14 2,458 01-11-2014, 01:46 PM
Last Post: daryush
  Did Ammianus Marcellinus make some booboos? inkstain 6 1,703 07-06-2013, 08:38 AM
Last Post: Nathan Ross