Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Imperial Rome - Caligulas Veterans-Modeling Diary
This is a blog I am running on wargamerau.com / wabforum.co.uk and something that will be updated soon. I hope Smile

-Background-
Ive always adored Rome, but found that the armies of historical wargaming to be a little bland or static. I wanted to game historically but to do something different, especially with Imperial Rome who seem to be the space marines of the Historical gaming world, theyre usually the first army people play, the most common and somewhat the least varied.

Being as much a converter as a wargamer I thought id do something different, Theres a fantastic story (probably blown up to ridiculous proportions) about the Emperor Caligula waging war against Poseidon by having his legion march upto the shoreline and have his legions hack and spear the sea, then collect sea shells as a form of bounty. This, army led by a madman, was the army I would raise and so I bring forth the army below.

-Resources & Modeling plans-
I currently have all warlord games models mostly because they are what Hall of Heroes sell ( <- free plug) I have several magnetic bases of varying sizes which i will use for varying sizes and easy transport, though it must be said I havent used them before. I have brought woodland water effects which I have also never used before but seems to form really well.

In total I plan on having

Generals
-Caligula
-Incitatus (just the horsey but in imperial robes, after all, what horse seeking a political career can have their image hurt by commanding the military)

1x Unit of Praetorians
2x Cohorts of Legionaries (Varying colours)
2x Units of Auxilery
1x Unit of Horses (which will be led to water)
Several Artillery pieces, though i am unsure if i want a carrobolista or just a regular scorpio
1x Elephant (I know there is no historical backing for this, but theres also no historical backing AGAINST this)

The legions are painted via dipping (forgive me) though character models will be painted with more detail.

WIP shots of the first unit (sorry there are so many)
[Image: 2011-04-21111918.jpg]

[Image: 2011-04-21141457.jpg]

[Image: 2011-05-05215304.jpg]

[Image: 2011-05-05215332.jpg]

[Image: 2011-05-06105659.jpg]

[Image: 2011-05-10161455.jpg]

[Image: 2011-05-06105707.jpg]
Damian Laurence Zamprogno
This is a great idea for a diorama! The water is quite realistic, as far as I can judge based on these photos. I would add much more water, to give more to see, though.

9 of 10 points.
Get the FREE Ancient Measures Calculator - a scientific software tool which makes it easier to rebuild ancient construction based on their ancient measures.
Full Version (v1.0): http://navis.TerraRomana.org/d/FNRCalculatorWindows.zip
Full Version regular(v2.0): http://navis.TerraRomana.org/d/AMCv2regular.Setup.rar
Full Version special edition RAT(v2.0): http://navis.TerraRomana.org/d/AMCv2seRAT.Setup.rar

(use the free WinRAR to extract the Setup file)
The concept sounds great and the miniatures even better. Nicely done, I'll be following this project. Keep up the good work
André

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Models in Book Great Ages of Man, Imperial Rome JeffF 1 1,385 06-10-2013, 09:40 PM
Last Post: D B Campbell
  3D modeling: Arqspin richsc 0 2,101 04-20-2012, 04:23 PM
Last Post: richsc
  Sims Modeling satsobek 18 3,634 02-24-2003, 04:36 PM
Last Post: satsobek