Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shoe tying Lorica Segmentata?
Salve from Down in Australia, Long time lurker first time poster (naw now I feel special) I have searched and searched and not found anything about this so either im not using the right words or this hasnt been addressed (im sorry if its the former)

After a good decade of being obsessed with Rome I finally decided to get a set of Lorica Segmentata from Soul Of the Warrior, however when the pack came with the armor I was given two long strands of leather string for fastening.

As I didnt have a instructions and I just assumed I knew what I was doing my immediate response with the armor was to not cut up the string to make individual loops but to tie up the lorica like it was a shoe lace using one string threaded and crossing through each hoop and tying it at the top.

I can post a picture for anyone confused but my question is - is this completely incorrect? i have not been able to find any evidence for or against this other than afew status do show individual loops tied. This method of threading the armor seems quick and easy to me but id rather do this right if theres evidence against it.

Thanks!
Damian

(Please note th attached photo is just to clarify - I was somewhat intoxicated and rambuxious when this photo was taken, also yes I know thats a bath robe It was for a quick costume party)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Damian Laurence Zamprogno
Hey Damian,

Sorry man, I can't answer your question as I'm a beginner too. However, I just wanted to say that that image should have been posted under;

"Show here your roman soldier impression" Big Grin

What? Australian, intoxicated!? Say it isn't so! I think your great country is only beat out by the Poles for alcohol consumption! Unless of course you're referring to strictly pints of Ale, then you've got them beat hands down!

Great pic mate! Made my day!

Best regards,

B. Yurko Mikels
Sextus Mummius Tiro

Aut disce, aut discede!
Either learn, or leave!
Salve, individual loop tying is correct. Your style - one cut, and your lorica opens, very bad under barbarian pressure Tongue

http://legioxgpf.livinghistory.cz/galeri...ategory/11
MARCVS GAMBRINVS VVLGARIS
PRINCEPS POSTERIOR TERTIVS
>BRVTI<

Martin Zenker, Prag, CZ
The "shoelace" way is quicker and easier, but as Gambrinus mentioned, if it tears, the entire thing may come undone. Tying individual ones will give you a better fit on your segmentata (Especially if the segmentata is a little big, its easier to pull two plates closer at one, than it is to pull all 8 at one time).

I don't know if there is historical evidence this method, but given how practical the Romans were, I think it can be assumed
Quintus Furius Collatinus

-Matt
Fasten the lorica any way you want, but that helmet has to go.
Nice, John. 8) Sending the man a postal money order soon? :grin:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
hahaha thanks john! wow you guys are generous!

thanks though for the advice, I can absolutely understand the logic of multi over single threading I just wanted to check.

Regarding the armor, all bar the belt will be replaced over the next year, I brought 3 sets of 'display armor' as I was helping with an Easter production and so I need
needed cheap and affordable
Well said Dave.

I always try and use individual laces...but there are times when in a bind or so I've used a single tie. In the back I always use an entire length of thong...if you get hit from behind, my logic is you shouldn't have been running away in the first place. 8)

Legion: TBD
Why isn't anyone objecting to the roller buckles on the segmentata, or the black pebbled leather straps? Confusedhock:
Paul Karremans
Chairman and founding member
Member in the Order of Orange-Nassau, awarded for services to Roman Living History in the Netherlands

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.gemina.nl">http://www.gemina.nl
est.1987
Well I was wearing stage armor, sneakers and a bath robe toga so I wouldnt look too much into it past the original question for now :p
RAT-ters do that all the time Damian. The amount of stitch-Romans on this forum is amazing...still, in our defense, we are the friendliest bunch around! ;-)
Paul Karremans
Chairman and founding member
Member in the Order of Orange-Nassau, awarded for services to Roman Living History in the Netherlands

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.gemina.nl">http://www.gemina.nl
est.1987
Speaking of the leather straps, Damian the armor appears to be identical to some Indian armor I bought a little while ago. For some reason most of the leather from India is all weird when it comes to reenactment stuff, and mine was very dry and one of the internal leather pieces broke the first time I tried it on. Save yourself a repair and treat the internal leather with neatsfoot oil, or some other kind of leather protector.

If you haven't already be sure occasionally put some mineral oil on the steel when not in use to avoid rust

-Matt
ha, I know Sertorius I was just trying to be a comedian. I am trying to decide on which proper segmentata I want to purchase so I need to take into account what to look for.

Thanks too Matt I'll keep that in mind! does it alaso stop the armor from staining? my assumption is that the sets I got were Deppeeka stage armor they were pretty cheap compared to proper Corbridge and newstead stypes so im assuming the metal quality wasnt there
Most armor, even the cheaper stuff is usually made from Mild Steel which lacks chromium that 440 Stainless steel has makes it "stainless". This is not a bad thing though, as stainless steel makes for poor reenactment material (aside from being inaccurate, stainless is not as sturdy, ever see how easy it is to bend a kitchen knife compared to tougher steel?)

The mineral oil will prevent rust, though I'm not sure what you mean when you say "staining", the mineral oil will protect it, only a thin coat is necessary, and it will last awhile, depending on the humidity and aridness of your location.

I recommend wiping the oil off before using the equipment as it can get messy, and then reapplying it after use. Because mild steel is more susceptible to rust, even the salt from your fingers can cause rust (though not immediately, but with long term neglect).

Mineral oil is also pretty cheap, here in America I pay $1.38 for a pint, which goes a long way. Just apply with a paper towel.

One last thing, a lot of people recommend using a scotch brite pads, which work great on getting rust off, but in my experience can be slightly abrasive to the appearance of your armor. And do not use the pads on the softer brass parts of the armor. Just my two cents

-Matt
As noticed, this is one of the "Stage Armor" loricas, not one of the ones we recommend for reenactors. Just FYI.

I tie the leather thong to one side of the loops too, otherwise I lose the things all the time. This will save you some leather!!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lorica Segmentata Hardware. Marcus33 0 261 10-28-2021, 05:02 AM
Last Post: Marcus33
  Lorica segmentata construction help 9thlegion 4 1,748 03-03-2018, 02:53 AM
Last Post: A_Volpe
  Advice on removing rust from Lorica Segmentata Adriangunn 6 3,899 02-16-2017, 11:20 PM
Last Post: Mervlvs