Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CHESTER ROMAN FESTIVAL
@Cheyenne: that's not my video! (I'm good at finding such things on Youtube though.)

@Peronis: good to meet you for the first time too.

@Gaius Julius Caesar: *waves!* At least my mugshot wasn't too awful. Check out my falcata!

And a huge thank you to Paul Harston and David Flockton-Andrews, his second in command, whose hard work made it all possible.
Ben Kane, bestselling author of the Eagles of Rome, Spartacus and Hannibal novels.

Eagles in the Storm released in UK on March 23, 2017.
Aguilas en la tormenta saldra en 2017.

www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor
Facebook: facebook.com/benkanebooks
Huge thanks and kudos goes to Paul Harston and his team for putting on the event and making it what it was. Thoroughly enjoyed the entire weekend.This was one of the friendlist, well-organised shows that I have been to over the years.

Good to catch up with old friends and make new ones, and to put faces to names.

Great pictures Graham!

and yes, Ben's Falcata is a stunning piece!
Was an excellent show from the viewpoint of us Late Roman chaps as well.

Seemed a genuine interest amongst the public for learning about the evolution of the Imperial Roman Legionary into his 4th Century counterpart.

As noted above well organised and so good to see and experience the various groups interacting in such a friendly and accomodating manner and on a personal note good to put some names to faces.

Looking hopefully forward to an even bigger Chester event in 2012......
Marc Byrne
More pictures from Graham Sumner, this time the Late Roman chaps. Britannia I think, plus a Very Late Roman (also popularly called a Byzantine)> No Britanniaci?

[Image: DSC_0546.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0547.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0548.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0416.jpg]
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Yes, those lads are from Britannia. The Very Late Roman may be from Hetaireia Palatiou (http://www.enduring-empire.org.uk/). Three of us (Iuniores) came from York at the invitation of Britannia, and they made us most welcome (thanks chaps Big Grin ). Think these pix might be from Sunday, when we opted out of the Parade through the town!
Quote:Yes, those lads are from Britannia.
I just noticed that they are holding their scuta in their right hands. Odd.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Hi everyone, I can confirm that the "very late Romans" were us guys Hetaireia Palatiou, aka the Palace Company. This was our first Roman gig, due to us being 10th till early 13th Cent. we tend to get lumped in with Vikings or Crusaders. I think Roman reenactment is actualy more our spiritual home, and we look forward to taking part in more, similar, events. I would be gratefull for any pictures of us from the event, we are usually too busy to take any ourselves, and I at least, have the usual share of vanity.
As a reenactor of 35 years, one of the things I really like about the period, is having light weight options for combat kit, ie Kavadion and turban, rather than the plate or mail I have been wearing in other "avatars".

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Just asked Mann who was in the Saturday parade - it was specifically so the crowd could see the shields on the right, if they were on the righthandside. In the first picture, the chap furthest from the camera is holding his shield left-handed so it's facing outward on that side. Maybe Britannia is really canny and has equal numbers of left-handers and right-handers. :twisted:
I was really intrigued by the palace company, their kit was really nice - i'd like to make some of that stuff...

Reminds me of the 10th Century Rus style Smile
Claire Marshall

General Layabout

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.plateau-imprints.co.uk">www.plateau-imprints.co.uk
Thankyou. We are often mistaken for Rus, Vikings and/or Turks, reason being that as the early Medieval Superpower in the west the "Romanoi" were much imitated by these peoples. To be fair though a lot of the kit was adopted from the Avars who brought in to the west a lot of Eastern influence, and constantly rubbing up against the Persian Empire had its effect as well. The Eastern Empire finaly fell in 1453, a full thousand years after the West, it survived by constant adaption and adoption.
Join us, or at least visit us at an event.
ps the womens kit can be amazing.
Quote:Just asked Mann who was in the Saturday parade - it was specifically so the crowd could see the shields on the right, if they were on the righthandside.
Ah so, a cunning plan! Big Grin

Quote:Thankyou. We are often mistaken for Rus, Vikings and/or Turks, reason being that as the early Medieval Superpower in the west the "Romanoi" were much imitated by these peoples. To be fair though a lot of the kit was adopted from the Avars who brought in to the west a lot of Eastern influence, and constantly rubbing up against the Persian Empire had its effect as well. The Eastern Empire finaly fell in 1453, a full thousand years after the West, it survived by constant adaption and adoption.
Join us, or at least visit us at an event.
ps the womens kit can be amazing.
Hi David,
You guys look amazing!

Here are a few more pictures from Graham Sumner, I think you're in them too.
[Image: DSC_0549.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0550.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0396.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0101.jpg]
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Thanks for the complement, especialy valued as the bar is so high in Roman reenactment. I am the guy in the grey/natural wool felt cap, the late version of a pannonian, and the long natural wool gouna, the military greatcoat of the 10thC. The man in the regalia of the Governer of Constantinopolis is Timothy Dawson, head of our group.
I see that you are at Kelmarsh, I'll come and say hi...

I was going to do a ladies dress in something similar to the turk style on the Levantia website.

I did quite a bit of horse Archery a few years ago and aim to get back into it when I acquire a new horse in the Autumn. I can see much Avaric influence in your impressions and I really like the kit for the much Later Eastern Empire.

You guys are also based in Leeds? cool - I'm in the Midlands at the moment, but am in Yorkshire/North West England on a regular basis.

If I get time, I may just rustle up a bit of kit for this period for Kelmarsh...

I have some hand embroidered Byzantine cuffs that could be cut from another coat that could work with some nice ladies court kit..

I have a pair of migration shoes which could probably pass for a pair of ladies shoes..

My beadmaker is also doing some Byzantine blood drop amulets for me and if they ever arrive from the states, then that could also form part of dress adornment

Smile
Claire Marshall

General Layabout

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.plateau-imprints.co.uk">www.plateau-imprints.co.uk
PS - I noticed your tunic looks very much like those of the 8th-9th century coptic Egypt from the Whitworth gallery

heres the thread with a link of pictures I took ages ago

http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat.html?fu...&id=272434
Claire Marshall

General Layabout

Wonderfull pictures! Thankyou for the link, and for taking them. You are right, there is a more than passing resemblence, but not surprising really, the two spheres had a common history and a lot of contact with each other.
I look forward to seeing you at Kelmarsh. Hmmm..horse archer hey....

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Postponement of Chester Roman Festival until 2014 Squamatus 4 1,444 01-30-2013, 02:40 AM
Last Post: 66kbm
  Chester Roman Festival 2012 Nerva 10 3,983 01-18-2012, 04:58 AM
Last Post: Nerva
  chester roman festival - UK madoc 6 3,500 10-16-2005, 09:22 AM
Last Post: Opifex