Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CHESTER ROMAN FESTIVAL
Some very good photographs there - sounds like a great event!
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
It was a very interesting weekend, the comments from the general public were very positive. The ferrets were part of the display by the Vicus, directly opposite us, they were very popular with the children as well as the adults. Unfortunately, it rained enough today to make packing up a bit of a chore, but in all it was an excellent weekend, with a great turnout of Romans, Romano-British and Celtic groups. The arena displays were well-attended, as was the march through the city. Next year they're hoping to expand it even more, which will make it even more interesting.
Mike and Su Poole
Nice to talk to you Piotr, I really like your commitment to getting your kit right from day one! Graham is a great person to have as a reference for when you are starting out. His recent book is a 'one stop shop' for soft kit.

Meeting new friends and old was great..

We didn't stop all day both days and it was excellent... kit away ... now wheres my garden strimmer....
Claire Marshall

General Layabout

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.plateau-imprints.co.uk">www.plateau-imprints.co.uk
A brilliant event! Had a great time. Wonderful talking to Graham, Crispus and Cheyenne as well as Sue, who makes the most incredible Roman glasswork.

One and a half centuries of legionaries - they're aiming for a cohort next year!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3V6Ys-FA6qc
Ben Kane, bestselling author of the Eagles of Rome, Spartacus and Hannibal novels.

Eagles in the Storm released in UK on March 23, 2017.
Aguilas en la tormenta saldra en 2017.

www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor
Facebook: facebook.com/benkanebooks
Quote:One and a half centuries of legionaries - they're aiming for a cohort next year!!

It was around 90 legionaries Smile I've counted the rows when we were marching three abreast - 30 rows, some incomplete. So between 80 and 90. Probably 20-30 auxils, the rest was barbarian scu.. the rest was the noble Britons and some Romans from the far future Smile
Hey Ben,

You put that together quickly! Nice recap of the weekend

Claire
Claire Marshall

General Layabout

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.plateau-imprints.co.uk">www.plateau-imprints.co.uk
Quote:... the rest was barbarian scu.. the rest was the noble Britons and some Romans from the far future Smile

Britunculi?
Mike and Su Poole
It was a most amazing expeirence's of my life to of been at the front of the parade on Horseback on the sunday ! I looked back to see the parade of soldiers following , It was an amazing sight and one , I shall remember for a long long time Smile Some great photo's Smile

Simon
Simon Burrows.
Quote:
Viventius post=289372 Wrote:Yes, I do hope the weather is good at Chester - it rained at the show I was at during the Bank Holiday weekend :?

Will look out for you Graham, or swing by the Late Roman section of the camp as I'll be there with Kurt Big Grin

Come rain or shine we will be there even if I have to carry you both Wink :lol:

Sadly, it was more like come shine and then rain! Nice to see you there, hope you all got home safely.
Mike and Su Poole
Quote:...the rest was barbarian scu.. the rest was the noble Britons ...

LOL (Almost) spoken like a true Roman...save for the PC requirement Big Grin
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Chester festival photos, courtesy Graham Sumner
Part 1:
Gladiators
[Image: DSC_0720.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0893.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0903.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0959.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0979.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0902.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0812.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0715.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0040_2.jpg]
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Chester festival photos, courtesy Graham Sumner
Part 2:
Legionaries
[Image: DSC_0534.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0336.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0274.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0263.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0103.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0083_2.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0122_2.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0178.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0503.jpg]
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Thanks for posting those Robert!

It was a very enjoyable event and great credit must go to Paul Hartson for getting the whole thing off the ground!

Nice to meet and greet some old friends and new faces.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Quote:
fasta post=289454 Wrote:
Viventius post=289372 Wrote:Yes, I do hope the weather is good at Chester - it rained at the show I was at during the Bank Holiday weekend :?

Will look out for you Graham, or swing by the Late Roman section of the camp as I'll be there with Kurt Big Grin

Come rain or shine we will be there even if I have to carry you both Wink :lol:

Sadly, it was more like come shine and then rain! Nice to see you there, hope you all got home safely.

Yes thanks safe and sound.Great weekend,great people & and a great future for the event.I was told 168 on the Saturday march.
Fasta Ambrosius Longus
John

We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

[Image: Peditum3.jpg]
Good to see the XIIIIth an Len!
Wish I had been there!
I see Ben Kane too!!Regards old chap!!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Postponement of Chester Roman Festival until 2014 Squamatus 4 1,444 01-30-2013, 02:40 AM
Last Post: 66kbm
  Chester Roman Festival 2012 Nerva 10 3,983 01-18-2012, 04:58 AM
Last Post: Nerva
  chester roman festival - UK madoc 6 3,500 10-16-2005, 09:22 AM
Last Post: Opifex