Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Heads up - Conn\'s Second Emperor book is out
The second in Conn Iggulden's pacy series on the life of Caesar is out in hardback. <p></p><i></i>
Just in time as I just finished SPQR VIII. There goes my pocketbook. But of course when I'm finished with this one I'm expecting to find out what happened to Cato after his last hangover. <p>Legio XX<br>
Fortius Conamur<br>
<br>
</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
When I've fully recovered from my last hangover I'll be starting on the next book in earnest.<br>
TIP: Never go drinking with RAF officers unless you have the drinking capacity of an English rugby team... <p></p><i></i>
I hope it continues to sell. I also hope this post works as my computer is crashing constantly. I did try to reply to your email, Simon, though you may not have got it. I thought I'd try a post and see if this at least, escapes my computer's clutches.<br>
<br>
I think the second book is better than the first, though of course I would say that...<br>
<br>
Conn <p></p><i></i>
Conn:<br>
Good luck with your new book. As I've said before, I'll refrain from reading it at the moment since we write about many of the same characters and use the same sources and it's too easy to get accused of plagiarism. For the same reason Steve Saylor and I don't read each other's Roman books. I'll catch up someday. By the way, who's this guy who wrote "Pompeii" and how did he get on the bestseller list? <p></p><i></i>
My father liked 'Pompeii' and apparently Robert Harris' take on the water supply angle - e.g Pompeii being part of a chain of supply that ended with the Roman fleet amongst other things, was pretty fascinating. Amazing success nonetheless - and apparently he has more on Rome to come.<br>
<br>
I do understand, John. I have a shelf of books to read in the future. It is certainly a thriving genre at the moment.<br>
<br>
Annoyingly, the ONLY thing I can do on my computer is get on the internet. Everything else has crashed. Certainly can't write anything, as apparently I no longer have either hard disk.<br>
<br>
Cheers all,<br>
<br>
Conn<br>
<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
The IT pro in me hopes some people have back ups. Particularly written to CD. <p>Legio XX<br>
Fortius Conamur<br>
<br>
</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
I do have backups of the books, but it's all the endless passwords and settings that I can't bear to lose. I sweated blood over a simple messageboard on my website and the thought of having to start from scratch with everything from my internet connection to database passwords etc is depressing. However, I have someone coming round on Friday to try and work a Lazarus. He laughed when I said I was using Windows Me as if I had told him I lived in a wattle and daub hut and liked the crumbly texture and rain-proof thatch.<br>
<br>
If I ever get hold of that Bill Gates...<br>
<br>
Conn<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Is it really a problem, this reading other people's work thing? Just curious, since I find it hard not to read round the subject area? I doubt that much I read influences my writing to the slightest degree. Once I get started the story dashes on under its own momentum. But if there is any danger of legal action over any supposed influence I really would like to know if that is the case...<br>
<br>
Harris's Pompeii is not quite so lava-ly a creation as the best-seller lists might have you think. Nice eruption though. <p></p><i></i>
Conn, I've tried emailing back to you, but if it doesn't get through this is just to confirm I'll be at Ottakars tomorrow, and hope that there's a chance for a beer/chat. <p></p><i></i>
Great stuff, Simon. I look forward to meeting you. And yes, for me there is a worrying possibility in reading other Roman books. I don't think for a moment that I would unconsciously pinch someone's plot or characters, but what if there are interesting Roman facts I didn't know? I might read them and file them away in my memory. Two years later, I am writing a scene and use one of them. Not a happy thought, especially if they are wrong! I think I have taken enough stick over my 'accuracy' already without absolutely putting my head on the chopping block and shouting "Come on then, if you think you're sharp enough!"<br>
<br>
Conn<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
No, actually, the writers aren't the ones who bring charges of plagiarism. We know the score. Nor do serious critics or academics. It's the enthusiastic fans who don't understand how the research is done and how limited the sources are. They are the ones who see some other writer treating the same material as their beloved author and crying "foul!." It should be trivial, but it can be troublesome. <p></p><i></i>
It was good to put a face to the name, Simon. Thank you for the beer and coming along. I must admit, the more I see of England, the more I wonder why I'm still living in London.<br>
<br>
Cheers and best wishes,<br>
<br>
Conn <p></p><i></i>

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  book series: Emperor by Conn Iggulden Caius Lentulus 0 862 03-30-2006, 01:41 PM
Last Post: Caius Lentulus