Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stephen Pressfield\'s The Afgan Campaign
Athough published in 2006 I only recently discovered what I think is Pressfield's best work while trolling through Barnes + Noble looking for sometjhing else. WOW, the introspection was really something...reminded me of Hienlein's Johnny Rico in Starshiptroopers...with much more gore and much less math! If you haven't had the pleasure pick it up as a great companion to Virtues of War! The only thing irritates me is I didn't notice it sooner!
Thanks for the suggestion, I will have to check it out. I thought Virtues of War was a bit under the mark to Gates of Fire, which I loved. It will be interesting to compare again, written description to reality.
Dan Powers
Society of Ancient Military Historians, Secretary
http://arkaion-bellum.com/

“It’s not a matter of being afraid or not, it’s about what you do when you ARE afraid”
I enjoyed this when I read it as well. Still need to read "Gates of Fire". "Into the Land of Bones: Alexander the Great in Afghanistan" by Frank L. Holt is a history of the Afghan campaign and would make good reading in conjunction with the Pressfield. I read Holt a couple years after Pressfiled but they would complement each other nicely.

Chris
As long as you are reading check out FIRST SPEAR Rudimenta and tell me what ya think. FS Pro Denuo is awaiting printing and FS Acies Triples is still in draft stage!