Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman pikeman and spearman
Quote:
Quote:Forgive me but is Arrian not using kontos as a synonym for pilum?
Ah, that's the mother of all questions!
Quote:In all, to Bosworth, with whose conclusions I often disagree, a "kontos" is indeed a heavy thrusting spear, designed for use in the line and not for throwing and he maintains that Arrian's use of the term in the Acies should not (as some do) be interpreted as a peculiarly heavy pilum.
So does Wheeler, and I think that conclusion might be the best to fit the (shaky) evidence. A thrusting spear would fit Arrian's description best, even though most commentators see some sort of pilum used here. I've argued my case here:
http://www.fectio.org.uk/articles/arrian.htm

About the throwing of the kontos, any spear can be thrown, I think I've come across Polybios saying that even a sarissa can be thrown. But it's not what they were designed for, of course. Wink
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Whilst I believe, as does Dorst, that the Kontos referred to in Arrian's 'Array against the Alans' is in fact the pilum, the fact that a gravestone of a 'discens phalangarii' of Legio II Parthica found at Apamea would seem to suggest that during the 3rd century AD some legionary troops were armed as phalangites i.e with long spears/pikes. Perhaps Caracalla did after all raise some pikemen in his army as claimed in the SHA?
Adrian Coombs-Hoar