Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SCA fighting
Caid is fortunate to have an extremely organized force in comparison to most of the SCA Kingdoms. Having lived in several "Kingdoms" it is nice to see the differences in how the groups do things.<br>
<br>
I have no illusions about having true-to-form Roman units/ tactics/ formations on the SCA battlefield. First off, SCAdians are hobbyists, not disciplined soldiers. There are a few folks that understand the necissity of discipline and even fewer who practice it.<br>
<br>
Also, the SCA is not designed to be a war reenactment group. It was started as a group of people interested in recreating the idealized pre-1600 period (largely comprised of romanticized chivalry, and knightly pursuits). The concept of Chivalry was unknown at the time of the Caesars, but the Romans had their own virtues.<br>
<br>
Essentially you have a bunch of people with their own ideas of how they want to portray "chivalry" and periodness, ranging from the hellenistic age to the various versions of Arthurian sagas, to the Norse sagas, to the Robin Hood wannabes, to the war of the roses, to the english civil war...all on the same field. You get all these folks trying to have a moment of heroism (something a lot of folks don't get in their mundane lives) and for the most part, you get chaos.<br>
<br>
Some folks, Caid is an excellent example of how being part of a team is it's own form of bravery (even if just in a weekend warrior sense).<br>
<br>
Basically, we get to put on pseudo-period (ok, sometimes not even that) "armor" and play hero for the weekend. we get to beat the crap out of people with sticks: and not go to jail. We get to have our own little units where we define our world: Roman, Norse, English, whatever. For the weekend, we get to be what we want to.<br>
<br>
The SCA has it's good points and bad points. There are a lot of both. Like any group, you make your own little niche and make it what you want...and ignore the rest. I think it is a lot better than getting all dressed up and doing nothing but standing around, camping in a dress and talking about it...<br>
<br>
It's really cool when reenactors participate and show the SCAdians what period really looks like (and that it really isn't that hard to be period either.)<br>
<br>
Caius Livius Varus Germanicus (KSCA)<br>
COH.III.BRIT.EQ<br>
~AnTir~ <p>================<br>
"Self-Pity"<br>
I never saw a wild thing<br>
sorry for itself.<br>
A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough<br>
without ever having felt sorry for itself.<br>
<br>
D. H. Lawrence<br>
<br>