Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coad, Handwax, Shoemakers wax recipe
After pouring over the caliga links I realized I really could use some hand wax. It is not for sale anywhere in the USA. I found two recipes and here they are.

4lbs pine resin(rosin),1lb pitch(roofing tar will work), 4 oz beeswax, 3oz refined tallow. Heat until melted and mixed. Pour into cold water form into balls.

Popular Mechanics Dec 1907

4 oz Pitch, 1oz Resin, 1/4 oz tallow

Heat well over a slow fire. Stir until resin melts and mixes with the others. Then pour into a pale of cold water. When cool enough to handle make into a ball. Roll then pull like taffy until it is the color of pale resin. Roll out and cut into strips 1" by1 1/2". To make harder use more resin. To make softer use more tallow. Keep in water.

I hope this helps. Now to by plywood for my boat and make some caliga with modern soles so I don't make everyone angry about my hobnails.

Dean
Dean Cunningham,

Metalsmith, Father, dilettante
did you try snowseal??
AgrimensorLVCIVS FLAVIVS SINISTER
aka Jos Cremers
member of CORBVLO
ESTE NIX PAX CRISTE NIX
Not sure sno seal is the same stuff. it appears sno seal is a beeswax based product and also appears rather thin. Hand wax is used to coat and preserve natural linen thread and also acts as sort of a glue like substance to keep your thread together after it is sewn or threaded onto the needle. Handwax is a traditional cobblers item that no one uses much anymore because synthetic threads don't require it. Beeswax is fine for some purposes but I have found it lacking in some respects.
Dean Cunningham,

I just use a mix of beeswax and violin rosin, melted together. Good enough most of the time.
I add brewers pitch to it if I need it to set hard (when binding boar bristle onto linen thread to use instead of a needle.
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

[size=150:1m4mc8o1]WURSTWASSER![/size]
I have found an extensive discussion on another forum. You can find it linked below. It is a pretty comprehensive thread spanning 3 years.

http://www.thehcc.org/discus/messages/4/1028.html
Dean Cunningham,

I found hemp thread and hand wax. They also sell bristles.

http://carreducker.blogspot.com/p/hemp-t...-sale.html
Dean Cunningham,