Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hoplite video (long) - what do you guys think
hello
I would like to apologize ahead of time to any of you that might think this is stupid and a waste of time. But i felt that the hoplite was mis represented here, and would like the opinion of people far more knowledgeable than myself.
http://youtu.be/mNj5HiCPx1I

was all the hoplite gear accurate? what about how he used the weapons?
I have a feeling this link may be a trojan or malware...

I didn't click on it, but it looks like a suspicious link
Claire Marshall

General Layabout

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.plateau-imprints.co.uk">www.plateau-imprints.co.uk
Looks like a suspicious link to me
Claire Marshall

General Layabout

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.plateau-imprints.co.uk">www.plateau-imprints.co.uk
The video is over two hours long. Maybe if it were broken up some, it would be better.
Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis

Joe Patt (Paruzynski)
Milton, FL, USA
The video is over two hours long. Maybe if it were broken up some, it would be better.
Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis

Joe Patt (Paruzynski)
Milton, FL, USA
I was bold, trusting in my anti-virus software, and watched part of the video. He was basically saying how iron rods with one point sharpened were superior to throwing knife-looking weapons. I didn't recognize the Japanese words he used for them.

But they both amounted to darts. They stuck in wood, but not impressively. A good aspis would have caught them all. Never got to see the combat promised.

The warrior vs warrior combat has been discussed elsewhere, and to take a single hoplite from his phalanx and pit him against a trained assasin, is just silly. A hundred ninjas vs a hundred hoplites is a totally different thing, regardless. The hoplites knew how to deal with missile attacks. The ninjas weren't really front line infantry. Who cares, is the question that came to mind.

I didn't get a virus, I think, but what are all these Greek-looking horses marching across the bottom of my screen?? 8) I didn't watch but a few minutes of it. The cost in megabytes seemed extreme.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
The link is fine, my security would have flagged it if not. The video is however much too long to sift through, from what I saw the aspis seemed about the right size, the curaiss looked a bit silly though. We have discussed the ninja vs hoplite nonsense here before, someone commented something like 'it's simple, hoplite falls asleep, ninja kills hoplite while he is sleeping'. Smile

"The men who once dwelled beneath the crags of Mt Helicon, the broad land of Thespiae now boasts of their courage"
Philiades

"So now I meet my doom. Let me at least sell my life dearly and have a not inglorius end, after some feat of arms that shall come to the ears of generations still unborn"
Hektor, the Iliad
Its just a youtube vid, wont have any viruses.
It was broken down into four separate videos, but these two are around 40 minute long. If your interested in watching them, just search "spartan throned" in youtube.
well yeah, in the end its a pointless question. They never faced each other in history, and are far too separated, time wise. But I think its entertaining concept. At least fun to debate about Tongue
but then again the hoplite would be with an army, hardly easy to get at, even for a ninja. The whole point is, what would happen if a samurai or ninja fought a hoplite. The ninja and samurai have superior steel weapons, but can the aspis make up for the hoplites inferior weapons?