Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VEMBRACES
Tell you guys what...hide beyond your text books and "sources" all you want, but that is simply the beginning of reenactment. Come on out to Lafe, which seems to be one of the few events that is immersion based and making a concerted effort to experiment in an archaeological context, and then we'll continue this discussion.

Far too many of you base so much of your opinions on the theoretical without implementing any of it and testing it out. Makes your opinions a bit hollow.

Legion: TBD
Quote:Far too many of you base so much of your opinions on the theoretical without implementing any of it and testing it out. Makes your opinions a bit hollow.
I agree. Or come to Augsburg University, we are doing this every tuesday for three hours since almost a year now.
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Gladiatorial Christian or legionary stuff? What are you using for an "enemy" force? If you have any video, that may help others improve on their impression or create new ideas for experimentation.

Rusty said the Lafe video will be out soon...hopefully not too much longer. Though I am not sure what has been captured on it.

Legion: TBD
Matt, both. Our "enemy" are celtic / Germanic Auxiliaries. :-)
We´ll make a professional film next summer.
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Quote:Matt, both. Our "enemy" are celtic / Germanic Auxiliaries. :-)
We´ll make a professional film next summer.

Christian
If you are looking for some trained Gallo-Germanic fighters you know where to find us.
A few weeks back we did some filming for National Geographic.
Regards

Garrelt
-----------------------------------------------------
Living History Group Teuxandrii
Taberna Germanica
Numerus I Exploratores Teuxandrii (Pedites et Equites)
Ludus Gladiatorii Gunsula
Jomsborg Elag Hrafntrae
Quote:Tell you guys what...hide beyond your text books and "sources" all you want, but that is simply the beginning of reenactment. Come on out to Lafe, which seems to be one of the few events that is immersion based and making a concerted effort to experiment in an archaeological context, and then we'll continue this discussion.

Far too many of you base so much of your opinions on the theoretical without implementing any of it and testing it out. Makes your opinions a bit hollow.
Still, with the number of bad reenactments out there, people have a reason to be skeptical. A few people here are using their own experience to insist against the evidence that the Romans must have used arm protection... but unless they were using the right weapons in the right way their experience may not apply. And its hard to judge that from talking on the Internet!

I'm busy getting the martial arts training that one needs to judge an interpretation, and if I ever look seriously into Roman combat mechanics I may try to get out to Lafe, but those take time and money that not everyone has.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
I am starting a thread titled "Tactics: Employment of the Gladius" to further the tactics discussion as many who may be interested may have not seen the discussion as it is in this thread titled "Vembraces"
John Kaler MSG, USA Retired
Member Legio V (Tenn, USA)
Staff Member Ludus Militus https://www.facebook.com/groups/671041919589478/
Owner Vicus and Village: https://www.facebook.com/groups/361968853851510/
Link to the new gladius thread: http://romanarmytalk.com/rat.html?func=v...&id=294876
--------
Ross

[url="http://galeforcearmoury.blogspot.com"] Working on a segmentata.[/url]