Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Translation of de metatione castrorum?
I am trying to find a translation of de metatione castrorum. Anyone know where one might be?
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Quote:I am trying to find a translation of de metatione castrorum. Anyone know where one might be?
Grillone's emendation of the title didn't really catch on -- most people still refer to the text as de munitionibus castrorum.

Kate Gilliver published an English translation in Journal of Roman Military Equipment Studies 4 (1993), pp. 33-48. And there's Lenoir's French translation in the Budé series (Paris, 1979).

I've never seen an online version, but if you find one, do let us know.
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Hello,

I would just add, that there is another English translation in:

Polybius & Hyginus, 1994. Polybius and Pseudo-Hyginus: The Fortification of the Roman Camp M. C. J. Miller & J. G. DeVoto, eds., Chicago: Ares.

There should be one more English translation in:

Richardson, A. 2004. Theoretical Aspects of Roman Camp and Fort Design, BAR S1321, Oxford.

But I haven't seen this one.

Apart from that, there is also a German translation by Alfred von Domaszewski.

I don't know what languages do you speak, but I know also about a Russian, Polish and Czech translation (the Russian and Czech are online) Smile

Greetings,
Alexandr
Thanks; I will see if I can find a copy of one of these. My guess would be that all the English translations are copyrighted hence won't be online. You can buy it in Latin from Amazon for not much, but from The comment above are there more than one version of the Latin?
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Quote:You can buy it in Latin from Amazon for not much, but from The comment above are there more than one version of the Latin?
The text of De munitionibus castrorum is a fragment. The beginning and the end of the treatise is not preserved. And the text we got from the manuscripts is damaged and distorted on many places. Therefore many parts had to be reconstructed by modern editors. Of course every one of them amended the missing words or reconstructed the distorted parts differently. Therefore there are several editions of the Latin text, which differ more or less in certain parts.

The older editions of the Latin text by Scriverius (1607), Schele (1660), Lange (1848) and Gemoll (1879) are all online on Google Books or Archive.org (go to this page, scroll down to the part "Edice a preklady" and click on the blue links to the right to access the scanned books).

The modern editions by von Domaszewski (1887) and the newest by Grillone (1977) and Lenoir (1979) are not scanned and online (still copyrighted). But as far as I know some of the internet Latin texts of the work are taken from these editions. IIRC the text on The Latin Library is taken from Grillone's edition (not 100% sure, though) for example.

The translation by Miller and DeVoto are based on Lenoir's Latin text. IIRC the translation by Gilliver is primarily based on Grillone, but takes into account Lenoir's (and may be other editors'?) text as well.

Alexandr
Quote:There should be one more English translation in:
Richardson, A. 2004. Theoretical Aspects of Roman Camp and Fort Design, BAR S1321, Oxford.
But I haven't seen this one.
I haven't seen that volume, either. But I believe -- I may be wrong -- that it includes a translation which Sir Ian Richmond presented to his colleague F.G. Simpson at Christmas 1925, and which was discovered amongst his papers. If it is this one, it includes one or two questionable passages, but is generally serviceable if you have nothing else.
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/