Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kalkriese type helmet image
I've seen the most commonly reproduced of the masked 'kalkriese' helmets said to be based on one now housed in New Yorks Metropolitan museum( the most complete one apparantly), in the shelby/white collection.
In several weeks of looking I've yet to find even one image of the original, does anyone have a picture of the actual helmet or know where I can find one without travelling to the US, book or internet source, no preference.
Hello Dave!

The helmet you refer to is a variant of the Weisenau type, bronze with eyebrows soldered on, a very short neckguard and cheekpieces in cavalry form with stylised ears. It is said to come from a grave in Bulgaria and dated to mid 1st Century AD.
It is published in:

Marcus Junkelmann, "Reiter wie Statuen aus Erz" (Philipp von Zabern, Mainz 1996)pp. 54 fig. 105-108.

The book is in German but has pictures of this helmet (in bw) of all four sides and lots of other cavalry "sports" type related armour, often in colour.
Even if you don't understand German it is worth the money (about 15-20 €).

But I would not say the helmet in question is a typical one to have been worn with the Kalkriese masks. They could have been worn practically with every battle helmet.

Of the 14 Kalkriese masks known to me, only three have been found with a helmet (the above mentioned Weisenau, one Weiler/Koblenz-Bubenheim and one with a rather dubious bronze "bowl") and one only with cheekpieces.

Greets

Andreas
Andreas Gagelmann
Berlin, Germany
Thanks for that, I've tracked down one on Amazon.de.
Oddly Amazon.co.uk (.com) wanted a huge amount of money for it, more than four times what I paid in the end.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help wanted: breakdown of battle find by type (e.g. Kalkriese) MonsGraupius 9 4,302 12-12-2017, 12:15 PM
Last Post: MonsGraupius
  Question on the Buggenum-type helmet S. Marcer 6 2,511 03-14-2013, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Albertomv
  Opinion on Helmet Type Please Vindex 2 1,165 09-08-2012, 07:43 PM
Last Post: Nathan Ross