Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman cataphractarii and clibanarii tombstones
Till now, there are only very view tombstones from Roman cataphractarii and clibanarii known. Only one of them (Valerius Fuscianus from Bolu, now in Istanbul Archaeological Museum) has the inscription clibanarii.
I´m looking for pictures of these tombstones.
Is there anyone who has got pictures of one or all of these three tombstones?:

1.) Valerius Ienuarius from Eporedia/Ivrea, Italy

D(is) M(anibus). /Valerius / Ienuarius[s] circito[r] de vexilla[ti] / one catafr[a] / ctariorum. / Aur(elius) Exuper[ius] civi su[o …

CIL V 6784

2.) PROVINZ / REGION: Macedonia • FUNDORT: Bitola / Heraclea Lyncestis

09 =c03,14406a =ILGR 00205 =CLE 01878 =IG-10-02-02,00109 =IDRE-02,00360 =AE 1901,00121

1 D(is) M(anibus) Aurelius Saza centenarius

2 pelege (!) ic (!) iacio qui vixi annis quin-

3 aginta (!) et militavi annis =XXX= et sum

4 natus in provincia Dacia et milita-

5 vi inter ecuites (!) catafractarios Pica-

6 vensis (!) suc (!) cura Romani propositi (!) Au-

7 relia Plactu coniux qui posit (!) titulo (!) be-

8 ne merenti car(o) marto (!) uo (!) resta

9 viator et lege titulo nestro (!) dunc le-

10 ges et eausas (!)

3.) Provinz: Moesia inferior
Ort: Istria / Histria / Istros Istria / Histria / Istros, Rumänien
Belegstelle: AE 1919, 00018
] / circitor de / v<e=I>xillatio/ne XII Cata/fracta(riorum) [3]N / strimami q(ui) vi/xit annis XXXIII / [milit(avit)] XII[3]V

Thanks a lot!
..... not 100 % of what you seem to request, but ..... :roll:
..... a couple of tombstones from "the western front" here (In German , but with pics and the Latin inscriptions) :
http://varusforschung.geschichte-multime...ier_12.pdf
Pages 1-5, that is.

Greez

Simplex
Siggi K.
If you are hoping to find reliefs showing the deceaseds, I think that you will be out of luck. I am looking at Ortolf Harl, Die Kataphraktarier im römischen Heer - Panegyrik und Realität, JRGZ 43 (1996), 601-627. He discusses thirteen cataphract inscriptions and illustrates eight of them. Seven of these have images of the individual and, in the text, these are described. In the case of the remainder, he simply deals with the inscriptions and your three fall into this category. I have not seen photographs of them but I conclude that they do not include reliefs.
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
Hello!
Thank you very much for your mail! I know O. Harl and his essay. For my bachelor essay I read nearly all known books to this topic. There is no book which shows more pictures of tombstones from cataphractarii and clibanarii than his one. But I need the pictures of the other tombstones, which he and the others don´t have in their books.
About three weeks ago I went with my college to Ivrea. Harl wrote, that there ist a tombstone of a Roman Cataphractarii. I tried to reach someone of the Museum per email, but I did not get an answer. So we went there by car, but did not found the stone... It´s very difficult.
Please tell my, if you have any idea!
Thanks a lot!
It is a pleasure to welcome another cataphract enthusiast. I am not aware of any published photographs of these three tombstones but, if I find anything, I will let you know.

You have probably picked up from Hoffmann that there are two Greek inscriptions relating to clibanarii, ZpalV XLIV (1921),93,No.129(q) and SEG XX (1964),332. There seems to be a published photograph of the latter but I have not seen it yet. If I read Hoffmann correctly, he seems to have only had access to the transcript of the former.

It would be interesting to know what conclusions you reached in your bachelor essay. I expect that you have seen the recent thread on the arms, equipment and impact of clibanarii in this forum.
Michael King Macdona

It´s a pleasure for me too!
I know these two gravetombs. Not from Hoffmann, but from Nikonorov, Valerii, P.:Cataphracti, Catafractarii and Clibanarii: Another look at the old problem of their identification. In: Military Archaeology. Weaponry and Warfare in the Historical and Social Perspective. Materials of the International Conference 2-5 Sept. 1998. St. Petersburg, 1998; p. 134. The first one is in Jerusalem, the second in Northern Syria.
For my bachelor essay I just took the Roman Tombstones, not the Greek.

It´s not possible to write about my conglusions too much, because I am going to write a publication to this topic with a college from classical Philology.
He is excellent in translating especially Greek writigs. We are going to analyse all writings from ancient writers to this topic. This is a lot of work, because we don´t use translations.
Perhaps the tactic is the difference between cataphractarii and clibanarii.

If you find pictures I would be so thankful, if you would send it too me.
For what it is worth, the Syrian inscription is not a gravestone but commemorates the construction of an arch by Fl. Danielos and his "brothers" (? colleagues) pursuant to a vow. Danielos is described as skoutarios klibanarios.

Your proposed publication sounds very interesting. I look forward to seeing it. Please let us know when it is out.
Michael King Macdona

Thank you. I now one stone from a cataphractarius (also not a tombstone) in Bosra/Syria. It is also a part of an arch, but its a Roman inscription.
At the moment my college and I are working on an article to this topic for a review for history teacher in Austria.
Sure, I will let you now, when we are ready with our publication.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Photos of Roman tombstones in Britain needed for Ancient Warfare magazine JoshoB 6 3,860 05-06-2016, 09:46 AM
Last Post: JoshoB
  The arms, equipment and impact of Late Roman Clibanarii ValentinianVictrix 81 23,073 03-12-2013, 01:47 AM
Last Post: Alanus
  Roman Militay Tombstones as evidence for Soldiers zakhx150 7 2,558 03-12-2009, 08:56 PM
Last Post: Crispvs