Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New helmet
I have finished probably my last Roman helmet for a while. I have stopped taking commissions altogether for the last 3 years. This one came out very nice. Now on to making a sail boat.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Dean Cunningham,

Metalsmith, Father, dilettante
Truly beautiful, but I miss the peak of the forehead
Beutiful work Dean. I think it should also have the brow guard.

It's this helmet right?....
http://www.romanarmy.com/cms/component/o...Itemid,96/
I have talked to the archaeologist who did the conservation of this helmet and there was never a brow guard on this helmet. The archaeologist also stated that he wanted this helmet made for him and searched and searched but there was no evidence this ever had a brow guard. So that is how I made it also.
Dean Cunningham,

Right! I've been looking at the photos but there doesn't appear to be any indication of holes for attachment of a browguard. Perhaps it was unfinished???

I don't want to appear hyper-critical as you have made a beautiful piece of work, but the original helmet has multiple holes on the neck guard for more fittings to attach the brass edging whereas you have just reconstructed one. Did the archaeologist also specify just the one?
Yes there are indeed multiple holes. There would also be a brow guard had the customer want it. I like Roman smiths, work by the dictates of our customers. I gave him options and let him know what was original to the helmet and what was not. He chose to leave off the brow guard as the original is and didn't want the extra holes on the neck.

If I remember my conversation with the conservator, there was evidence for the brow band and some of the edging being leather with gold guilding or sheathing. I have a hard time believing a helmet of this quality would have remained unfinished. We see a few helmets of this time period without brow guards.

Ultimately I see no issues with breaking from slavish reproduction as long as it doesnt stray too far outside of the known norms. In this case leaving a few holes out doesn't bother me, nor would have placing a brow guard if there were not one. It is customer preference. Then the customer is also assured he has a unique helmet. Of course I don't partake in anachronsisms and customer education is part of the process. I will point out the conservator wants me to make him this helmet also but wants the brow guard because he thinks it looks funny without it. I think it looks just fine without it. When talking about helmets you have to ask yourself, did the helmet really look like this? Good examples are the Gallic H from lech and a helmet found in the Kupa near Sisak. Both appear to have been reworked several times and one can only speculate what the original helmet looked like. At one point both had been covered and perhaps recovered in thin silver sheet. I like these types of helmets the best because they are essentially a blank slate. The customer can choose which decorations they want and what time period they wish the helmet to be rooted in.
Dean Cunningham,

If you want me to i will take new photos of this helmet when i am next in the Museum of Antiquities here in the city, if its on display.

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Yes Henk-Jan that would be great. I have many photos of it as well as a report on it's conservation but better photos would be a plus.

Thanks,

Dean
Dean Cunningham,