Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Question for Aitor
First of all hello Aitor,<br>
<br>
I had read a post once in where you stated that you were resinding in the Basque country of Spain. Thus my question: I know this is a broad subject but are there any good Spanish books on the subject of Roman Spain? For simplicity just narrow it to the top five books that you'd recommend and if any of these might be available here in the US. Any answer would be greatly appreciated.<br>
<br>
Thanks in advance <p></p><i></i>
aka: Julio Peña
Quote:"audaces Fortuna iuvat"
- shouted by Turnus in Virgil\'s Aeneid in book X just before he is utterly destroyed by Aeneas\' Trojans.
Hello Nighthunter!<br>
<br>
A difficult question, because books on Roman Spain use to be written in Spanish!<br>
I'll try to remember in the following days but now only comes to my mind a book (in English) by Simon J. Keay entitled 'Roman Spain'. I don't own it and, therefore, I cannot tell you the ISBN or the publisher. It is not recent (mid-nineties if I recall well) and could even be out of print.<br>
<br>
Aitor<br>
<p></p><i></i>
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Well, I am fluent in Spanish and don't mind reading in Spanish.<br>
<br>
Anyway, don't worry, take your time and anything you can come up with will be greatly appreciated. Many thanks. <p></p><i></i>
- shouted by Turnus in Virgil\'s Aeneid in book X just before he is utterly destroyed by Aeneas\' Trojans.
OMG......Sorry about the last emoticon on the post.....it was a mistake. I meant this one : <p></p><i></i>
OK, Nighthunter!<br>
If you're good with Spanish, then things will be much more simple!<br>
I think that perhaps you could get more opinions, Ivan, Cesar are you reading this? your suggestions will be as valuable as mine!<br>
BTW, NH, are you specially interested on any subject, for instance, military?<br>
<br>
Aitor <p></p><i></i>
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Hey Aitor,<br>
<br>
Thanks for replying. Well, I'm interested in all facets of Roman history, but yes, the Roman Military and Roman Architecture take precedence over the rest.<br>
<br>
<br>
NH <p></p><i></i>
Hi again, NightHunter!<br>
I'm afraid that there are very few general books on those subjects and most part of the information is scattered in hundreds of papers!<br>
There is a good survey on Spanish Roman military. The book contains the proceedings of a Conference held in 1999, but has only been published this year. It's expensive (around 75 euros, I recall €1=$1.20):<br>
<br>
<span style="color:yellow;">'Arqueología Militar Roman en Hispania" ÃÂÂ

Rolf Steiner
Ave Aitor!<br>
<br>
Happy New Year to you also.<br>
<br>
Listen, a million thanks for all your help. Hey it's cool....these should be a good start. 1993 is not too old....I'll try to find it in one of those on-line used book distributors.<br>
<br>
Don't got too crazy on my account. I've since been searching also. It's very amazing though, that a place like Hispania with such a rich Roman past in it should have so few books on the subject. But, I undestand.<br>
<br>
Vale et felix vivas!<br>
<br>
NH24<br>
<p></p><i></i>