Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Late Roman belt
But some of the belt sets have decorated metal fittings that are designed to fit over the ends of the wide parts of the belt, one of which wouldn't be seen if one end tucks behind the other as in your reconstruction? I've always thought that they should butt up against each other....maybe not though.

I like your solution with that particular belt set though.
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

[size=150:1m4mc8o1]WURSTWASSER![/size]
Quote:Yet they did in early Roman periods, which is where this all comes from to begin with, so you're not rally at fault there.

Are you sure about that Byron; are you really, really sure?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

"Medicus" Matt Bunker

"The buckle (on the right side of the belt) is placed on the end, but the left side is about 20 cm longer and passes under the right side, so that no matter what the belt is fastened over (or how fat I grow), there is always leather behind the buckle and the strap, to avoid that gap "

Thats exactly what I did with the Dorchester belt. The two ends are very different so I interpreted the flatter end as a "slider". As no doubt they said on late Roman adverts " say goodbye to unsightly belt gap...."

[Image: Dorchesterbelt.jpg]

[Image: dorch1.gif]
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
Quote:The two ends are very different so I interpreted the flatter end as a "slider".

Meaning you've got one decorated casting that's never going to be seen? That seems odd to me.
And some sets (like the Sittingbourne belt) have identical, tubular/plate end fittings. As does the one that started this thread. they look like they're meant to be seen together to me.

However, again, it is a solution. There may well have been no standard method, or maybe there were different methods for people that wanted belts with a wide range of adjustment....

A study of those sets that were found in graves may be called for. I know some of them were laid out flat on the body of the deceased, so there may be some clues there.
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

Not that decorated, and possibly just to protect the belt end?
[Image: dorchend.JPG]

Agreed, personal preference may well have been a factor.

And going back to the originals, which would be the best graves to look at?

aka Paul B, moderator
Moderation in all things
:lol:

Well my memory could be wrong, but I am sure the chaps on the grave stele wore belts....
hmmmmm you are making me wonder too. Where is he database link these days....
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:And going back to the originals, which would be the best graves to look at?

You could pop into the MoL and ask them about the set found in the Mansell Street cemetery for a start. See if they've got an excavation drawing showing where the plates were found in relation to each other. The buckle plate and it's opposite number are quite clearly designed to go together (there's a gap for the buckle in the latter).

Might be worth starting a new thread asking people to post examples that they know of from cemeteries where there's useful information in terms of excavation reports/drawings.
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

Quote:Might be worth starting a new thread asking people to post examples that they know of from cemeteries where there's useful information in terms of excavation reports/drawings.

Thanks for this very thought provoking thread, its really got me questioning my previously held assumptions as well.

I think starting a belt finds schematic thread would be very useful and I know I have some information I could contribute from Zengovarkony. Smile

Lucianus
L.E. Pearson
http://www.romanarmy.com/cms/component/o...Itemid,94/

Hmmm, a harder task than I recalled....

http://www.romanarmy.com/cms/index2.php?...aiusd2.jpg
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Meaning you've got one decorated casting that's never going to be seen? That seems odd to me.
That could be avoided, when the end plate is not on the part that tucks behind the other part. You could have a belt with 2 end plates in full view, but attach an extra part which slides behind the buckled part. Still no gap, and two decorated parts in full view. Of course, that still get you into trouble wehn you become thinner, but then I presume the whole belt could be altered. The main thing would be: go ugly gap.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote: That could be avoided, when the end plate is not on the part that tucks behind the other part. You could have a belt with 2 end plates in full view, but attach an extra part which slides behind the buckled part.

Now you're just being silly. Wink
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

Chaps- I'm contacting the MoL re the Mnasell grave, but suggest that initially we post grave drawings etc here to continue the thread of the debate? I can alwsys amend into a new thread with my moderator power if needed!

aka Paul B, moderator
Moderation in all things
Good man. I'll scan what I've got and post next week.
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

Subscribed. The function of how these later belt plates fit on the belt, always confused me, and modern interpretations have not satisfied me :-) Some grave images will certainly help!
Markus Aurelius Montanvs
What we do in life Echoes in Eternity

Roman Artifacts
[Image: websitepic.jpg]
Quote:
Robert Vermaat post=295686 Wrote:That could be avoided, when the end plate is not on the part that tucks behind the other part. You could have a belt with 2 end plates in full view, but attach an extra part which slides behind the buckled part.
Now you're just being silly. Wink
Actually, no I'm not, but maybe it's the description. :wink:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What goes into a late Roman belt? Boontje17 0 15 11-09-2023, 10:56 AM
Last Post: Boontje17
  Late roman belt set from Traprain Law, Scotland Agraes 25 6,493 10-03-2016, 10:35 PM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  Late Sword Buttons for Belt Help? brennivs - tony drake 5 2,064 03-13-2015, 09:07 AM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake