Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
macrame for a roman belt?
Hi,

I'm helping to turn my husband into a roman. Whilst he has a balteus he can borrow for

now for when he's in uniform I'm looking to make him a belt for when he's off duty. It's

going to take a while to learn to weave so that's for the future. In the meantime he

needs something to keep his tunic up so i was wondering about macrame. It surely must

have been used in some context within roman life as it pre and post date this time and it

looks like netting was used for string bags, but does anyone have any evidence of its

use? Also any opinions on its use as a belt?

Thanks
First off, welcome to the forum, and welcome to the hobby of Roman "impersonation" history. Glad to have more folks on board.

I'm not sure about macrame, but no doubt the Romans had knots for various purposes. You can make a strip of "cloth" from cords using only two or three knots. However, just a soft cord or light rope, or even a sash two fingers wide makes a fine belt for a tunic.

There are many who say that soldiers wore their military belt at all times, on duty or off. It was one of the marks of being a soldier. Still, at home, at dinner, at rest, ???

It's better if you have a soft belt on first, before putting on the military belt anyway. Helps get the folds and drapes of the tunic beforehand. The the leather belt fits on with less trouble.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Thanks for your reply M.Demetrius. Certainly a soft belt would help him out as his tunica never sits right. I'm obviously overthinking as a simple cod would do the job amply!:oops:

Ta muchly
:lol: Of course you meant "cord" not "cod". A codfish would smell rank after three or four days... :lol: As for the other meaning-- :oops: :wink:

<never able to resist a play on words, please forgive me, and don't kill me>
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
oops!!:oops: :oops: :lol: yes, definitly mean't cord! :roll:
Welcome Anna,I made a belt of henp cord by "weaving it like pigtails it is soft and easy to make.
you can also weve this by just using one rope you need aprtox 3.5 times the length you wanr to make. but you always have al ropr handy.
AgrimensorLVCIVS FLAVIVS SINISTER
aka Jos Cremers
member of CORBVLO
ESTE NIX PAX CRISTE NIX
That sounds good, Agrimensor, could you post a picture of it for us all to see? Did you use a single strand for each of the braid parts, or multiples? In other words, how many cords did you start with?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
I most just use one strand, but multiple is possible too, just more concentration.
i will try a pricture tonight. and post it (i'm still at work now :? )
AgrimensorLVCIVS FLAVIVS SINISTER
aka Jos Cremers
member of CORBVLO
ESTE NIX PAX CRISTE NIX
hi Agrimensor,

thanks for your reply, that sounds like a good alternative too.