Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Classicists and Intelligence Services
Ancient historians and classicists are unique among scholars because they are trained to cope with insufficient and contradictory information. They are always thinking about unknown unknowns. For this reason, I believe, they are overrepresented as employees of intelligence services: Michael Ventris, B.M.W. Knox, N.G.L. Hammond, and T.E. Lawrence are examples. Does anyone know other names?
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
...I don't know whether they "fit the bill" perfectly
1. Graf Laszlo Almasy -- the original "English Patient"
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%C3%A1szl%C3%B3_Alm%C3%A1sy
Couldn't find an english website "on the quick" that covers all his "faucets".
2. Max von Oppenheimer , the man (not only) behind the excavationsn at Tell-Halaf
(and elsewhere but not-so-prominent sites, it seems)
By main profession german diplomat. No secret agent as such, but "agens in rebus" nevertheless. This man gave his last shirt to archeology. This year being paid the long
overdue respect on occasion of an exhibition at Berlin. There was a TV Special about him during that time on German ZDF
A doctorate thesis on the Tell-Halaf-Museum:
http://www.diss.fu-berlin.de/diss/receiv...0000002643
3. The relatively unknown "Deutsch-Türkische Denkmalschutztruppe" and the "Bavarian Flying Corps" as part of the German Asian Expedition Corps". This also was a part of the "Operation Pascha", the German support of the Turks during WW 1.
Mentioned here:
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deutsch-T%C...tzkommando
There was an exhibition about that Bavarian Flyers, IIRC it has become a "permanent" at
Oberschleissheim/Bavaria.
Unfortunately all these links are in German as I could not find sensible material on it in other languages.:roll: I'd be glad if somebody could help me out there.Cool

Greez

Simplex

The link-button still's trying to play tricks on me.:mrgreen:
Siggi K.
Thanks Siggi

(I received your p.m., BTW, but haven't found time to answer)
Jona Lendering
My website
It's just that we're smarter than other people.
Quote:It's just that we're smarter than other people.
Unfortunately, one quick look at no matter which academic journal is sufficient to prove the opposite. What I do think is that classicists and ancient historians are used to working with insufficient data. Donald Rumsfeld's famous words about unknown unknowns are in fact a rephrasing of the principle testis unus, testis nullus.
Jona Lendering
My website
nvm...
Hello, my name is Harry.
Ex pede herculem?
Curiously enough when I got my degree in Anthropology, having been in the Army I was considered to have "Fascist" leanings, and was obviously not part of the "Revolution",then popular with students, and not to be trusted. When I became a police officer, I was considered to have questionalbe loyalty because I had studied Anthroplogy,(Archaeology), and not to be trusted. I wound up working in Intel anyway, which was a lot of fun. There is no difference between a crime scene and an archaeological site). When you look a criminal activities as a sub-cultural system, (systems theory approach) you can normalize data, in practice, and do predictive modeling of behavior. I signed a non-diclosure statement, of course. I will tell you I will not vote ever again for anyone after what I learned, and strongly believe in things that are not PC and would get me banned from RAT in a heatbeat, no mattter how true they are. None of theis matters, but I know things you don't. In the end the joke will be on the PC bunch.

Ralph
(with no apoligies)
Quote:When you look a criminal activities as a sub-cultural system, (systems theory approach) you can normalize data, in practice, and do predictive modeling of behavior.
That's quite an interesting parallel - and what the humanities are (or should be) about.
Jona Lendering
My website
Quote:Ancient historians and classicists are unique among scholars because they are trained to cope with insufficient and contradictory information. They are always thinking about unknown unknowns. For this reason, I believe, they are overrepresented as employees of intelligence services: Michael Ventris, B.M.W. Knox, N.G.L. Hammond, and T.E. Lawrence are examples. Does anyone know other names?

This is quite pertinent, although it does not mention J. K. St Joseph's work in air photo interpretation. First chance he got in 1945 he wangled himself an Avro Anson and took off on that famous flight into Scotland tracing Roman remains. Just as keen was his pilot, Derrick Riley, who also became a leading light in archaeological air photography after the war. Derrick, a Mosquito pilot, once told me how, when training multi-engine pilots on Lancasters, he used to make them turn tight circles so he could look at cropmarks (good practice for the trainees and good for him :-) ).

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Quote:when training multi-engine pilots on Lancasters, he used to make them turn tight circles so he could look at cropmarks
Hmm. A new meaning to the term "crop circles"? 8) :lol:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Isn't Eric Birley supposed to have used his experience in deducting the German order of battle as an intelligence officer in WW2 to decipher the Roman one?
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Quote:Isn't Eric Birley supposed to have used his experience in deducting the German order of battle as an intelligence officer in WW2 to decipher the Roman one?

It is often said that that was the case but I suspect that EB's initial interest in the Roman army in the '30s led him on to the Wehrmacht when the need arose (armies are armies, after all, and he was well acquainted with Germany). Whilst he was in military intelligence, Richmond meanwhile was serving with the Home Guard (I once found his drill notes amongst the Corbridge records)!

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Quote:Ancient historians and classicists are unique among scholars because they are trained to cope with insufficient and contradictory information. They are always thinking about unknown unknowns.
I'm not sure if that's unique to classicists: social scientists and economists have the same problem if they are competent. Being polyglot helps in both fields. I can't think of any other trade than classicism where professionals are expected to be able to read and write five languages.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
Quote:social scientists and economists have the same problem if they are competent.
... if they are competent... I could not help but smile, but of course you are right.
Jona Lendering
My website

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Classicists, Chinese investors & papyrus scanning Caballo 1 908 11-03-2011, 11:10 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar