Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
\'Greek and Roman Artillery\'
Avete omnes,<br>
<br>
On these days, it has arrived to my hands from Osprey the nr 89 of the New Vanguard series, entitled 'Greek and Roman Artillery 399 BC-AD 363', written by Duncan B. Campbell and illustrated by Brian Delf.<br>
<br>
It is undoubtedly one of the 'good' Osprey books. The author has honestly stuck mainly to facts and to the literal texts of treatises, instead of the usual trend to change them to suit before handed conclusions, favoured by many Ancient Artillery scholars.<br>
<br>
Mr Campbell has tried always to show the different trends of interpretation of some doubtful facts and texts when they exist and that is really praiseworthy, because we're unfortunately accustomed to scholars that simply ignore those who go against their ideas while they'd really wish to use them as artillery targets...<br>
<br>
Inside the book you will find much welcomed 'oddities' like stone-throwers on low stands and shooting in flat trajectory, the Hatra ballista reconstructed as an inswinger or onagers with detached buffers.<br>
<br>
My main objection to this small book is that the author has dealt with a really vast subject (in both, time scope and quantity of information, terms) without allowing for the minimum necessary space to develop it. I'm not meaning that the book is not well-structured and easily understandable but just that many interesting things and explanations have been left out for the sake of lack of space while it would have been better write two books, 'Greek Artillery' and 'Roman Artillery', for instance.<br>
<br>
Buy it if you're fond of artillery.<br>
<br>
Bene valete,<br>
<br>
Aitor<br>
<p></p><i></i>
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner