Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phalerae...anybody know where to buy this one?
Hey Fellas

Does anybody know where I can purchase this Phalerae?

It is not so flat like the others I have seen.

After doing some research, could it bea Dan Peterson Phalerae?
Does Dan make something like this, and if so how can I get in touch with him?

Thanks
Phil

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Phil McKay
Illustrator
www.philmckay.com
Dan Peterson is a reenactor who wares about two or three of those total replicas you posted. This set is by no means the same as Dan's.

Dan's set is based on the famous Lauresfort set of 10 phalerae. (Google may turn something up)

Off the top of my head the only person that makes these in the proper relief albeit not the best quality in terms of images (IMHO) is Erik Konig.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
High relief ones can be obtained from Erik Koenig (replik-online.de) as mentioned above by Doc and by Antoni Feldon (hetmanmilitaria.com).
ALA I BATAVORUM
Jurjen,

When I went to Hetman to have a look, any link that I clicked came up empty with no items in them at all.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Doc,

After I discovered the same issue with Hetman last evening I asked Jurjen about it on FB. This is what he told me;

"yes, Antoni is re-aranging his website, over a year now, and less products are online. If you're interested you simply should send him an email with your request, and I think he will send you an email with piccies back."

I only answered for him in case you wanted a speedier reply. I'm sure at this hour of night Jurjen is fast asleep dreaming of his new helm with the nice Up-dooWink I know the lingo, my wife owns a Salon.

Trust that may answer your question.

B. Yurko Mikels
Sextus Mummius Tiro

Aut disce, aut discede!
Either learn, or leave!
Thanks Yurko,

That suffices. I just like to see someones work before I ask for any prices. Any of these Roman armorers will say yes to a piece of equipment and proceed to provide a price. However, the work may be far from what you would expect. Sometimes it is excellent while many times, from the photos I have seen, they leave lots to be desired.

When having custom armor made, it is important to have regular contact with the person who is doing the work for you so that you can be a part of the development. Otherwise, you may mention that your desire is to have a particular helmet and then when you receive it and compare it to the original, it has many faults.

Paolo
Doc,

Without risk of highjacking the thread I'd like to say, as a new enthusiast whom shall eventually be interested in more than soft kit, I thank you for the insight. My armor interest shall be lorica hamata. Now patiently waiting for Erik Schmid to get his page back up.

Back to Phalerae in question.

B. Yurko Mikels
Sextus Mummius Tiro

Aut disce, aut discede!
Either learn, or leave!
Well, a moment ago I was able to find an very old post of me (back in 2007, so the search function seems to work), where I did post one of Antoni's sets:

[Image: id314_1_b.jpg]

Antoni is expensive, but you certainly get what you pay for. Although I've to say I personally like Erik Koenigs work over his. But for both, expect long waits and not the best communication.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Thanks guys for your replies.

The Phalerae that Replik make are nice, but very expensive.

I have been in correspondance with Antoni, and he has emailed me the phalerae that he makes,though it is very nice, but it is very different form the pic Jvrjenivs has posted.

Anyway I will email him again with this pic and ask him.

The original phalerae image I posted was from the kit of Dave Michaels (legion six).
I have emailed him for some info but have had no reply.
Does anyone know him, or are familiar with his phalerae set?

Thanks again guys...very much appreciated

Phil
Phil McKay
Illustrator
www.philmckay.com
I forgot to mention that Peterson's phalerae were directly made from the casts taken from the originals. I believe he has cast copies and that is how the ones from the picture you posted were obtained. That is why Peterson's are the best I have ever seen as a reprodution. However, unlike the originals, his are not hammered out by hand. They were made by another technique that deposits metal on a surface as thick as required. This is what he told me a few years ago since I asked who could make those pieces so perfectly when looking at the originals. If you look at the Jupiter from the picture you posted and then look at Peterson's, they are nearly identical. Of course I could be wrong but David was at Lafe along with Peterson in the last few events. Maybe coincidence?

To be honest I have not seen any set come as close to Peterson's using the original technique. Konig makes them using the original technique but in my opinion has a long way to go before getting the likeness or fine details that one sees on the Lauresfort.

Maybe you can contact David and find out how he can help you to get those images that you want.

Paolo