[attachment:38]C:\\fakepath\\P17.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment:35]C:\\fakepath\\IMGP2575.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment:34]C:\\fakepath\\IMGP2574.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment:11]C:\\fakepath\\IMGP2547.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=711]P8.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=710]IMGP2568.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=709]P1.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=708]P18.jpg[/attachment]
Ave All.....well Cohort V's First Romamn Encampment was a huge success this past weekend. For a short term notice event, we managed to draw 20 people, well kitted out from 4 different groups.
The weather was great, the food prepared by Linda Wills and granddaughter Isis was delicious and drill led by optios David Wills and Dan Knight was a great learning experience for all.(Although, that is when Saturday decided to get hot and a little humid, but drill was still awesome!)
David and Mike Boyd show cased their new "alter egos".....our 4th Century Roman impressions for our new group Cornuti Seniores (see photos and check out our yahoo page at
[email protected] )
Besides Cohort V personel....the Legions that attended were:

Legion III
Legion XIII
Legion X

A Big thanks to all of those folks for helping make an enjoyable event and a memorable weekend.

Our next encampment at Ft. Parker will be this Fall. Take a look at the following photos, I think you will agree, it is an event that, if you are remotely close to Texas(Joel came from Colorado this year), you will not want to miss. Again, thanks to all who participated and I hope to see you all this coming fall....date to be posted within a week or so.
Salve, Marcus Lucretius Antoninus
Cohort V

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg   P25.jpg (Size: 28.76 KB / Downloads: 7)
Michael T. Boyd
Victoria, Texas
Cohort V
Legio Hispana IX
Cornuti Seniores

Roman Soldier Impressions are focused on 1st Through 4th Century AD
[attachment=734]IMGP2563.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=728]P17.jpg[/attachment]
Here are some more images, including the Late Roman Impression.

.jpg   P25_2011-05-02.jpg (Size: 28.76 KB / Downloads: 7)
Michael T. Boyd
Victoria, Texas
Cohort V
Legio Hispana IX
Cornuti Seniores

I promise to finish the Coh V vex banner. Will make fringe in the next day or so and shorten the danglia to an appropriate length.

The event was a lot of fun, and the fort made a nice backdrop for the day. Although it had been threatened to rain, it didn't. That was fine with me. And the roast pig was really good, as were the other foods.

I think some of the grape juice had spoiled, though...it seemed to taste a little strong, and made the speech of a few a little slurred. Must have been sort of old?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Mike, do you have any pics of you in your new tunic?

I'd love to see that with your other 4th c kit Smile
Claire Marshall

General Layabout

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.plateau-imprints.co.uk">www.plateau-imprints.co.uk
I will get those up soon, I'm sure you recognize the red linen 1st C tunic you made for me, it sure was great to wear when the heat cranked up Saturday afternoon.....and the humidity!, Mike
Michael T. Boyd
Victoria, Texas
Cohort V
Legio Hispana IX
Cornuti Seniores

I can imagine it was very humid! Linen is a great material for tackling the old internal thermistat.. i bet the drill was tricky in the heat. I've spent time in your part of the states in heat and it took some getting used to!!

:?

I look forward to seeing your pics. With your permission, it would also be nice to pop one or two on my website ?

Cheers
Claire Marshall

General Layabout

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.plateau-imprints.co.uk">www.plateau-imprints.co.uk
I'm about to make a Pannonian cap from all linen. Just makes sense in our climate. I don't know if they did, but somehow that doesn't seem to make as much difference as not having sweat continually drip in my eyes. :x

And a Late Roman helmet is even less ventilated than a 1st century one. Heats up just as fast in the sun, though.:-?

Humidity on Saturday was about 50%, with rain threatening (but not arriving). Temperature was 88F in mid afternoon, or 31C. I was glad my tunic was linen.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Here's a few more snapshots of the camp.

M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
It would be my pleasure for you to use them on the website, Cheers, Mike
Michael T. Boyd
Victoria, Texas
Cohort V
Legio Hispana IX
Cornuti Seniores

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ROMAN ENCAMPMENT at Fort Parker in Texas MARCH 11-13, 2016 Antoninus05 2 2,200 01-22-2016, 04:07 PM
Last Post: Antoninus05
  Roman Encampment, Potrero California Anonymous 0 682 01-29-2009, 12:57 AM
Last Post: Anonymous