Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Imprints from projectiles/glandes on skulls
Imprints are probably made ​​on the clay mold...I think.
I made ​​some of these and I used this method but with modern materials ... RTV and not clay.

Look here, if you want I post an image of my mold.

[attachment=812]IMG_0025800x600.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

CIAO from Italy

Marco
Yes, please post the picture of the mold. I'm planning to make one. What's a good alternate metal to lead, so the public can handle the glandes?

Tin is pretty pricey.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Dave, lead should do, as long as the visitors don´t eat the glandes... ^^
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Or as long as we provide a way for them to wash their hands. I wonder if a clear coat of acrylic would seal them enough? That should keep the oxides from forming, and I'm told it's those that are the real toxins. Hmmm.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
It will. Even a film of oil will do that, anything that keeps oxigen from reacting with the exposed surface. There are several types of lead oxide, not all equally dangerous, you are right in stating it is the oxides which are dangerous. But you could switch to zinc pure or with a bit of lead (15 %). Melting point is a good bit higher, but for handling, should be fine. It doesn't oxidize well, it does bond with sulfites. You could store them in a jar with demi-water in between shows to keep any unwanted reactions at bay.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Demi-water?:?:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
I've made some of these sling bullets with the raised inscriptions, I copied designs I found in museums (from photos on the web). I have photos somewhere!!!
Paul Elliott

Legions in Crisis
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/17815...d_i=468294

Charting the Third Century military crisis - with a focus on the change in weapons and tactics.
Demineralized water. The stuff you use in car batteries. It has a very low content of sulfides being pure H2O. But as all water, give enough time it will disolve a battleship :-)
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Thanks. I reckon it's either distilled or reverse-osmosis produced water, then. Available even at your local grocer.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
This is the mold that I made​​.
The original molds for casting similar to resemble an inverted tree.
The first reason is to create many pieces in a single cast and the second is the greater weight of the metal. In a single mold as my I needs pressure for copy the details because it have a little weight!

Hope you understand.

[attachment=856]IMG_0009800x600.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

CIAO from Italy

Marco

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  More London finds: skulls from the Wallbrook Caballo 2 1,178 01-15-2014, 11:42 AM
Last Post: Nathan Ross
  Finger glandes Anonymous 21 6,666 04-27-2004, 06:44 PM
Last Post: scythius