Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Hellenica
I am interested in reading Xenophon's Hellenica.
Can anyone recommend a good translation (English)?
Also, what is reputation of this work compared to say Thucydides?
Tom Mallory
NY, USA
Wannabe winner of the corona
graminea and the Indy 500.
I have yet to read Hellenica, though I just recently finished Anabasis (Penguin Classics). I have editions of Herodotus, Thucydides and various others from both Penguin Classics and Landmark, in my opinion the Landmark editions are by far the best.

http://www.amazon.com/Landmark-Xenophons...345&sr=1-3

"The men who once dwelled beneath the crags of Mt Helicon, the broad land of Thespiae now boasts of their courage"
Philiades

"So now I meet my doom. Let me at least sell my life dearly and have a not inglorius end, after some feat of arms that shall come to the ears of generations still unborn"
Hektor, the Iliad
I would second the Landmark versions. These are valuable for the up to date appendices, introductions and, not least, translations. The Landmark Arrian, for example, has largely dispensed with the rubbish of translating the various forms of kouphos as lighter armed (in infantry terms. Thus we have (at 3.18.5) the "nimblest of the archers" rather than the "lightest".

Xenophon as compared to Thucydides? Fox News as compared to BBC World.
Paralus|Michael Park

Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους

Wicked men, you are sinning against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander!

Academia.edu
Quote:I would second the Landmark versions. These are valuable for the up to date appendices, introductions and, not least, translations. The Landmark Arrian, for example, has largely dispensed with the rubbish of translating the various forms of kouphos as lighter armed (in infantry terms. Thus we have (at 3.18.5) the "nimblest of the archers" rather than the "lightest".

Xenophon as compared to Thucydides? Fox News as compared to BBC World.

+1 on the appendices, the Landmark Herodotus features twenty one appendices by various scholars which I enjoy almost as much as the translation itself.

Fox News as compared to BBC World? :-P

I had avoided that part of the OPs question in hopes that someone better with words than myself would respond, I must say.. well done sir! :-)

"The men who once dwelled beneath the crags of Mt Helicon, the broad land of Thespiae now boasts of their courage"
Philiades

"So now I meet my doom. Let me at least sell my life dearly and have a not inglorius end, after some feat of arms that shall come to the ears of generations still unborn"
Hektor, the Iliad
I would recommend the Landmark version of the Hellenica. But it doesn't hurt to have a Penguin paperback if you travel a lot!

While Xenophon may not be in the class of Thucydides or Herodotus, don't let that discourage you from reading his work. Modern historians love to criticize and deride him but, truth be told, what would we know of the period of 410-362 BC without him? Xenophon is far superior to Diodorus (although I'm thankful we have D's work as well!). The Hellenica is a treasure of information and invaluable to the study of Classical Greece.

Good luck and enjoy.
The Loeb Classics edition (two volumes) is sometimes useful too, even if you don't read Greek (the Greek text is on the left-hand page and the English translation on the right). I find that even taking the trouble to learn just a few key Greek words can help you clear up uncertainties in tranlations, which often use the same (or a very generalized) English term for several Greek words that have slightly different meanings with sometimes significant implications. Overall, though, I'd have to agree with the concensus here that the Landmark version is your best single bet.
It\'s only by appreciating accurate accounts of real combat past and present that we can begin to approach the Greek hoplite\'s hard-won awareness of war\'s potential merits and ultimate limitations.

- Fred Eugene Ray (aka "Old Husker")
Keep in mind that Xenophon was a huge Laconophile, and interprets or omits certain Spartan or anti-Spartan events in that light...
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
I'm reading the Landmark "Hellenika" right now and I think it's excellent.

The introduction contains essays on the relationship of Xenophon's work to Thucydides, Herodotus, the "Hellenica Oxyrhynchia," Ephorus, and Diodorus Siculus. This is especially important in light of the fact that Xenophon assumes his readers have read these other accounts and starts his narrative in 411, picking up where Thucydides leaves off. The appendices also include extensive translations of the "Hellenica Oxyrhynchia" and Diodorus.

First rate.

Paul
The Landmark version wins by a landslide! Thanks for all the well reasoned and informative replies.
Tom Mallory
NY, USA
Wannabe winner of the corona
graminea and the Indy 500.