Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ceremonial Centurion outfit
Hello Phil

May I extend a welcome to a fellow illustrator!

Not only is the original image very Hollywood as we may call it but another hangover from the movies is that we tend to think, as every previous poster has done, that soldiers wear full battle-dress at all times.

As a Biblical illustrator two things might we worth considering. If like me you want to buy kit to help as reference then what we would term today undress uniform, i.e tunic and cloak may well be worn on most occasions, possibly even at the Crucifixion for instance. That will save a lot of expense. Secondly the garrison troops in Judaea appear to have been Auxiliary troops so slightly less elaborate than their Legionary counterparts.

A good idea of what a Centurion might look like is provided by some of the wax portraits from Egypt. A white tunic with a brightly coloured cloak would do for starters. You still need to find an elaborate sword and belt plates but as an illustrator they might be something you can decorate yourself in your artwork. Otherwise you would just need a vine stick and I would suggest enclosed boots rather than the open toed sandal type.

Finally I would be interested in seeing your paintings, do you have a website or portfolio?

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
I also obtained my vine stick from a walk in my local forest...there should be some interesting hanging vines...thick enough for your purposes.

Legion: TBD
Thanks guys again for input.

Thanks for the welcome to Graham...my new website is going live, hopefully in the next few days. I'll post link when it is finished ok.
I gave a lot of thought in regards to what I need to buy for reference and what I can just paint from photographic reference etc. I decided to buy the lot and do it properly, and I'll use the costume/kit as a nice display in my home.
Also our local church puts on a re enactment of Christ's birth - resurrection every year and as part of that the scene with Pilat and crucifixion depicts soldiers and of course the centurion at the cross. So the kit could come in handy for that, as the costumes are getting better every year.
I have found a bloke here in Australia who can make me a nice stainless lorica hamata, and I understand some of you 'gagging' (got a laugh out of that Matt...thanks)but like I said I want it more for display and hence no rust etc.
Once I get the outfit all together I'll post some images ok.

Thanks everyone again
Regards
Phil
Phil McKay
Illustrator
www.philmckay.com
Hey, no worries--for displays like that you will be light years ahead! One of my legionaries got his start doing Passion plays at his church, and his wife made several loricas out of ironing board cover fabric. Has a silvery metallic sheen, and she quilted lines to make a segmented look! Brilliant stuff, durable, washable, lightweight, and good-looking. Actually, I've been considering hollow aluminum wire filled with helium for the mailshirt of my old age...

Vale,

Matthew
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
[attachment=767]Phalerae.jpg[/attachment]
Hey Fellas

Does anybody know where I can purchase this Phalerae?

It is not so flat like the others I have seen.

Thanks
Phil

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Phil McKay
Illustrator
www.philmckay.com

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Cavalry parade ceremonial helmets Jessy100bc 16 4,081 06-01-2013, 10:07 PM
Last Post: Renatus
  Ceremonial/Parade Armour Debate MARCVS PETRONIVS MAIVS 2 1,862 10-20-2011, 04:19 AM
Last Post: MARCVS PETRONIVS MAIVS
  "Ceremonial Lance" found at Caerleon dig Caballo 54 16,575 07-19-2008, 03:00 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar