Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lorica segmentata tweets
Mail chinks, scale rattles, but lorica seg tweets!

In preparation for a revamp of the Lorica Segmentata website (and, ultimately, the new edition of the book) you can now receive the occasional tweet about articulated Roman plate armour (if that's what peens your rivet). News about the website, book, and new finds of armour and publications about same will however be fair game.

To mark the occasion, and to encourage followers (don't worry, traffic levels will be light, and you won't be hearing what we had for breakfast here in Segmentata Towers) everyone who signs up before midnight GMT on April 30th will be entered into a prize draw to win a signed copy of Lorica Segmentata vol.1 (which is of course available online, but there are many who still prefer a dead-tree version). Let's see if we can reach 500 followers by April 30th; if we do, there will be another prize draw!

So, to be in with a chance, all you have to do is follow Lorica Segmentata.

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Quote:Mail chinks, scale rattles, but lorica seg tweets!
Well this got off to a false start, but now I've got the hang of this Twitter thing :roll: I am revivifying this, so on the lookout for new finds (found a piece of seggie from Housesteads only last week!), reconstructions, publications, and of course the book/website news mentioned above. Follow if you want to find out more ;-)

Mike Bishop

Interesting
But please also keep posting here, I simply don't have the time to follow all social media networks.
Regards

Garrelt
-----------------------------------------------------
Living History Group Teuxandrii
Taberna Germanica
Numerus I Exploratores Teuxandrii (Pedites et Equites)
Ludus Gladiatorii Gunsula
Jomsborg Elag Hrafntrae
Quote:Interesting
But please also keep posting here, I simply don't have the time to follow all social media networks.
Trouble is I don't make a habit of sticking every little find I stumble upon here; it would bore most people senseless. But don't worry, I'm not going anywhere just yet.

Mike Bishop

In a scale from private to public I find there's email, a forum, Facebook and Twitter. And while I notice that a lot of folks don't read their email any more (I use it mainly to send documents and images), Facebook is too fluid to retain interesting information apart from pictures - I think TwittR is a step too far for my taste.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:I think TwittR is a step too far for my taste.
To each his/her own. It's not compulsory, after all. I don't do Facebook (or the friendywendy social stuff on RAT), so can understand if people don't get/need Twitter.

Mike Bishop

Quote:Trouble is I don't make a habit of sticking every little find I stumble upon here; it would bore most people senseless. But don't worry, I'm not going anywhere just yet.

Mike Bishop

Have the same habit.
Most of the time I'm just scanning this forum for things that interest me or for things that attract my attention.
Regards

Garrelt
-----------------------------------------------------
Living History Group Teuxandrii
Taberna Germanica
Numerus I Exploratores Teuxandrii (Pedites et Equites)
Ludus Gladiatorii Gunsula
Jomsborg Elag Hrafntrae
I find a Facebook page for events is good for putting out event information and discussing preparation. Here is the one for Castra Lafe (22-25March)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/146928075365832/

Also A yahoo group works good for storing easy to find subject related photos like :
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Pugio/photos/album/0/list
John Kaler MSG, USA Retired
Member Legio V (Tenn, USA)
Staff Member Ludus Militus https://www.facebook.com/groups/671041919589478/
Owner Vicus and Village: https://www.facebook.com/groups/361968853851510/
Quote:I find a Facebook page for events is good for putting out event information and discussing preparation. Here is the one for Castra Lafe (22-25March)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/146928075365832/

Also A yahoo group works good for storing easy to find subject related photos like :
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Pugio/photos/album/0/list
That's the strength of social media: you take how little or much you need; it's there if you want it. So, anyway, that now includes bits of lorica seg :-)

Of course, it's always possible I may only choose to put special offers on the forthcoming ed.2 of LS on Twitter... ;-)

Mike Bishop

Following! and I lover twitter. up to the minute information seems to be the way of the new world...
Markus Aurelius Montanvs
What we do in life Echoes in Eternity

Roman Artifacts
[Image: websitepic.jpg]
Well...I thought I was following but haven't "heard" any tweeting yet...or am I being too impatient?
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Quote:Well...I thought I was following but haven't "heard" any tweeting yet...or am I being too impatient?
Last one went out on the 21st January and they average one every two days (trying to keep the signal to noise ratio high!), usually around 1500hrs GMT (depending on how clogged up Twuffer becomes). All should still be visible at twitter.com/loricaseg.

Mike Bishop

Finally. A reason to be on Twitter. Thanks, I think... :?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Hmm...best I check my settings then!
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lorica Segmentata (the book), second edition mcbishop 22 6,616 08-25-2009, 08:10 PM
Last Post: jvrjenivs
  The Newstead \'lorica segmentata\' mcbishop 0 1,048 08-11-2009, 08:41 AM
Last Post: mcbishop
  Free lorica segmentata paper in Spanish martijn.wijnhoven 2 2,404 04-28-2009, 04:28 PM
Last Post: jho