Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sutton Hoo
Went to visit Sutton Hoo for the first time with Celer and another RMRS member before the Bury Passion Play. I'm ashamed it was for the first time, but for most of us in UK, it is a very remote site.

First impressions were outstanding, and at the entrance was Raedwald from RAT in his full Sutton Hoo kit, with Patrick Barta sword. Astonishing kit of the highest quality which he was kind enough to let us examine. Learnt a lot too- for example the one eyed Odin symbolism on the helmet. Great to meet you!

Very , very impressive set up in the site itself , with new discoveries from Mound 17 (including a full Saxon bridle set, discovered and photographed on the horse skeleton and faithfully reproduced) the mounds themselves (including several that have not been excavated "for lack of money"), and a new re-creation, still smelling of oak, of the famous "Raedwald" shipburial that you can go inside.
This photo from my camera does not do it justice.
[Image: IMG00199-20110421-1614.jpg]

Of course, the originals are in in the British Museum, where many more people can have access to them, so you shouldn't expect to see the original helmet- but there is a lot of other original kit, and some great re-creations.

If you are within striking distance, I'd strongly advise a visit.
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
Quote:If you are within striking distance, I'd strongly advise a visit.

I would second that. I've been there twice, once on a recce and once with the Saxon Shore trip I led for Andante a few years back. If at all possible, combine Sutton Hoo with a visit to West Stow, so you can see how the other half lived.

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
What's the yellow blanket made of? feathers??
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
Nothing so exotic...wool!
Mind you, from the mound 17 finds, there were some interesting organic finds such as a knife in its leather sheath and a partial wooden scabbard. No old wool on display though.
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
It was good to meet you, too, and I am very glad that you liked the place.
You were the second group of people that day to recognise my sword as a 'Barta'. No-one has ever done that before in almost a decade of taking it there.

Many thanks for the compliments on my kit, as well.

Hope to see you there again, soon.

Paul
Paul Mortimer
Redwald

Awesome kit! And thankyou for being so patient while strangers played with your stuff. Hope you see you soon.

Vale

Celer.
Marcus Antonius Celer/Julian Dendy.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sutton Hoo caiusbeerquitius 2 1,473 04-07-2006, 07:39 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat