Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Review: The Lantern Bearers by Rosemary Sutcliff
The Lantern Bearers by Rosemary Sutcliff was first published in 1959, and in a remarkable testament to its appeal, it is still in print. It should also be noted that this is the novel that won the author the Carnegie Medal, a prestigious award for outstanding children’s books. It’s the third part of the loosely linked Roman Britain trilogy that began with The Eagle of the Ninth and continued with The Silver Branch. Readers are probably well aware that the first novel has been dramatised into a movie, The Eagle, which is currently showing all over the world.

In my review of The Eagle of the Ninth (posted here recently), I described how it was one of the main influences in my choosing to write about Rome and its legions. I have read it many times, and although I cannot say why, the same cannot be said of the second two books. I read The Silver Branch for the second time specifically to review it, and while I enjoyed it greatly, I didn’t think that it quite matched the first book in calibre. I expected that also to be the case with The Lantern Bearers. How wrong could I have been?

The Eagle of the Ninth fuelled my boyish imagination with pictures of stealing back an eagle standard from wild Scottish tribes, and to this day, I remember and enjoy and honour it for that. I had few childhood memories of The Lantern Bearers, however. Rereading it recently was akin to reading it for the first time. To my surprise and joy, it gripped me not just with the richness of its prose, but also with the depth and accuracy of its description of human emotions and relationships. I was moved to tears on numerous occasions, and I now regard this finely crafted novel to be every bit as good as The Eagle of the Ninth. If anything, it’s aimed at an older audience than the first two parts of the trilogy. In my opinion ― and I write this as a man rather than a boy ― it is a far better book than either of the others. The Lantern Bearers stands four square with any piece of adult historical fiction that I have ever read. Indeed, it’s superior to most of them.

*SPOILERS AHEAD*

The story begins in 410 AD, more than a century after the events that took place in The Silver Branch. This was the year when, in a desperate attempt to shore up its defences closer to home, Rome withdrew the last of its troops from Britain. The main character is Aquila, a decurion, or junior officer, of cavalry. Torn between his loyalty to the legions and to his homeland, which is under severe threat from Saxon raiders, he deserts. Riven by guilt, Aquila watches his comrades sail away into the evening mist, ‘the last of the Eagles to fly from Britain’. In a last act of defiance, and in attempt to hold back the dark for one last night, he fires the coastal fort’s beacon before journeying to his family home.

Aquila’s joyful reunion with his father and sister Flavia is all too short. Just two days later, the homestead is attacked by a Saxon war party. In the vicious fight that follows, Aquila’s father is killed and Flavia is carried off as a prisoner. The wounded Aquila is left behind, only to be enslaved by another group of Saxons the following day. Three years of brutal thraldom in Juteland (Jutland in modern day Denmark) ensue, a period when Aquila’s anger and bitterness at his fate festers within him like a malignant growth. When those who hold him captive are driven by bitter winter weather to settle in Britain, Aquila can at last dream of freedom.

Poignantly, Aquila’s first real chance to escape comes by chance, when he meets Flavia, his sister. She has become the wife of a Saxon noble, and because of her young child, she dares not flee with Aquila, instead aiding him to do so. The tragedy of his situation carves an even deeper grief into Aquila’s heart. Bereft of any direction in life, he wanders into the camp of Ninnias, a kindly monk. There he is freed of his thrall neck ring, and finds some kind of purpose: to travel to Arfon in Wales, and there swear fealty to Ambrosius, the man upon whom the last hopes of Roman Britain lie. Although he succeeds in joining with Ambrosius, and becoming a valued officer in his forces, Aquila’s heart is empty. Even when he enters into an arranged marriage with Ness, the daughter of a Celtic chieftain, his emotions remain untouched. It is not until Ness bears him a son, whom he names Flavian (after his sister), that the ice in Aquila’s heart finally starts to thaw.

More than a decade of warfare against the Saxons follows, and all the while Aquila struggles with the bitterness that has shaped his life thus far. While his relationship with Ness improves, Aquila is constantly ― no matter how hard he tries to be otherwise ― at odds with his son. It isn’t until the final pages, when Ambrosius, his charismatic cavalry leader Artos (a nod to the legendary figure Arthur), and Aquila lead an army against the Saxons that all the strands of the tale are brought to a satisfying conclusion. Even the memory of that finale brings a lump to my throat, and I urge you to go out and buy a copy of The Lantern Bearers. You won’t be disappointed!
Ben Kane, bestselling author of the Eagles of Rome, Spartacus and Hannibal novels.

Eagles in the Storm released in UK on March 23, 2017.
Aguilas en la tormenta saldra en 2017.

www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor
Facebook: facebook.com/benkanebooks
You know, you've just echoed exactly how I was feeling 2 days ago when I finished the trilogy.

As a child I remember reading the first book and not being that taken with it, thinking the second was 'light' somehow and so never getting round to reading the third in the trilogy. In fact, my favourite Rosemary Sutcliff book was always 'Frontier Wolves' now out of print, I think.

However, I recently re-read all 3 and found 'The Eagle of the Ninth' a master-piece of historical fiction which surprised me completely - the second I found underwhelming - and so I moved onto the 3rd and was gripped immediately by its mood and atmosphere. Emotionally, it drained and elevated me at the end and it takes a lot to do that to me these days - old veteran reader that I am!

I now rank the 1st and the 3rd as almost as good as Wallace Breem's book which for me is my all time favourite (Late) Roman book!
Francis Hagan

The Barcarii
If you enjoyed The Lantern Bearers you'll also like it's sequel Sword at Sunset even better. As far as I know it is Rosemary Sutcliff's only non-youth fiction book.

Here is the review I wrote for it on Amazon.

This is the best story yet written on the Romano-British cavalryman and leader whose deeds gave rise to the legend of King Arthur. In the days of my youth Rosemary Sutcliff's fiction for children opened the wonderous world of the people of Roman Britain. Sword At Sunset is NOT A JUVENILE FICTION BOOK despite including characters and continuing a story line from an earlier novel: The Lantern Bearers. MS Sutcliff brilliantly weaves what little actual knowledge we have with fictional details in a manner that brings Arthur out of legend and into life.

The story is that of Arthur's struggle to lead the Britons, both Celtic and Roman, against the invading Saxons. It is the story of the warrior brotherhood known as his 'Companions' as they battle to preserve the light of the dregs of Roman civilization in Britain against the darkness of the barbarians who would destroy it. The battles are realistic and the reader practically feels the blood, sweat, fear and courage of the fighting men. It is also a story of love, loyalty, betrayal and a horrible unspeakable sin, the consequenses of which could destroy all that Arthur holds dear. The story includes realistic events that would seem to explain an archeological mystery of the era and other events that give rise to important elements of the medieval legend.

MS Sutcliff takes us through Arthur's challenges as he strives to mount his men on the horses of his dreams, which he believes are the key to victory against the foot-bound Saxons. We follow him as he meets and befriends the men who will be his sword brothers as well as his meeting with the lady he grows to love, Guenhemara. We see Arthur confront a ghost from his past whom he knows will try to destroy him and whom his own honor will not allow him to destroy in turn.

As a soldier and historian I had always wanted to write a historical novel of the Arthur behind the legend. I would have no Camelot, no round table, no magic or knights in shining armor. It would be a story of a Dark Age warrior fighting a desperate battle to hold back the night. To my small dismay and my great enjoyment I found that the master story teller who woke my passion for history had already done so.

I have read both Mary Stewart's and Jack Whyte's books on the Arthur behind the legend and I have enjoyed them and highly recommend them. Because of it's realism, the historical and military research so obviously put into it and the 'historical feel' of the story, I enjoyed Sword At Sunset even better.
Hi Ben,

Thank you for a great review of a great book. I agree with you on most if not all your conclusions, it’s one of my favourite books by Rosemary Sutcliff, and perhaps the best written about this particular period.

A few remarks:
Quote: The story begins in 410 AD, more than a century after the events that took place in [i]The Silver Branch. This was the year when, in a desperate attempt to shore up its defences closer to home, Rome withdrew the last of its troops from Britain.
Actually, the book starts in 450 AD. I’ve made an internal chronology, which is only possible if you read both ‘Lantern Bearers’ as well as ‘Sword at Sunset’. Rosemary Sutcliff apparently followed Ian Richmond and the earlier writings of JNL Myres, who theorized that Roman troops continued to stay in Britain after 410, or perhaps returned later. This was for a long time discredited, but more recently, some signs or a revival have been noticed. Sutcliff dated Vortigern to 440.

Quote: Poignantly, Aquila’s first real chance to escape comes by chance, when he meets Flavia, his sister. She has become the wife of a Saxon noble, and because of her young child, she dares not flee with Aquila, instead aiding him to do so.
It’s interesting that you’ve read it that way. I think it’s one of the key elements in the book that Flavia declines to flee with Aquila, just because she has developed roots in the Saxon community. Her erstwhile captor and father of the infant son has become her husband, whom she won’t leave, even when Aquila proposed to raise the child.
Indeed the very choice has to be made by Ness, whom Ambrosius aranges to marry Aquila, even though she had someone dear to her heart in Gwynedd. It’s Ness who understands Flavia’s choice (where Aquila couldn’t) and helps him to understand as well. When he has to make a hard choice later (after the battle of Guoloph), Aquila does the right thing towards his sister’s son, even though that decision brings danger to himself.
I think Sutcliff described this transition from Britain to England extremely well. It’s a theme that should be read by a lot of people who are stuck in the notion that Britons and Saxons always remained enemies, the one exterminating the other.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for that review. Indeed, Sword at Sunset must be the best historical Arthurian novel ever written. In indeed echo the recommendation to read this book, in conjunction with the young adult book The Lantern Bearers, of which Sword at Sunset is a direct continuation.
Quote:If you enjoyed The Lantern Bearers you'll also like it's sequel Sword at Sunset even better. As far as I know it is Rosemary Sutcliff's only non-youth fiction book.
No, she wrote several.

Lady in Waiting (1956), about Elizabeth Throckmorton and her relation to Sir Walter Raleigh.
The rider of the White Horse (1969), about Lady Anne Fairfax and her husband Thomas during the English Civil War.
The Flowers of Adonis (1969), about Alkibiades.
Blood and Sand (1987), about a Scottish soldier captured in 1807 in the Nile delta by Turkish forces under the Egyptian viceroy, in whose army he will later serve.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Review: The Silver Branch by Rosemary Sutcliff ParthianBow 5 3,054 11-10-2012, 05:22 PM
Last Post: bruce ross morgan
  Review:The Eagle of the Ninth by Rosemary Sutcliff ParthianBow 42 10,208 09-10-2011, 04:38 AM
Last Post: Brent Nielsen