Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Late Roman Site, South of France - Help
I am lucky enough to be traveling to the South of France this summer, and would really like to see some Roman sites while there (between Bordeaux and Nice).

I know I will be stopping by the Pont Du Gard, simply to see the great feat of engineering. I would like to see other places however, even some museums that have later Roman Military items.

Anyone know of some?
Markus Aurelius Montanvs
What we do in life Echoes in Eternity

Roman Artifacts
[Image: websitepic.jpg]
Quote:I am lucky enough to be traveling to the South of France this summer, and would really like to see some Roman sites while there (between Bordeaux and Nice).

Anyone know of some?

Hello Markus,

Late Roman Site, South of France?

For late Roman, you'll be traveling through Gothic territory-- the Kingdom of Touluse-- and then toward where Alans were settled. This part of Gaul was one of late Rome's weakest positions, and that's why the Goths and Alans were officially settled there.

But there must be some early Roman ruins, even Greek stuff in Massilia.
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb
I guess my understanding was that it didn't get lost until the second half of the 4th Century or later, so would have expected some later period items still.

If there is none, then I'll focus on the early period items, like Golum (sp?) etc.
Markus Aurelius Montanvs

Roman Artifacts
Hello Markus,

I'm living in South of France, and i will give you some advices in differents post .
First if you're interested in late Roman military items, be aware that museums in southern France does often contain only a few pieces on the subject.

However, do not miss a visit to Arles (Museum, Alyscamps, Baths of Constantine, theatre, amphitheatre...), which contain many vestiges of the fourth to sixth century).

At the end of the 4th century, Arles became an important political and religious centre.
The administrative and political power was transferred from Trèves to Arles. A basilica was built against the southeast rampart, and later (in the 5th century) in the city centre.

Ancient Ales (Arelate) is listed as a UNESCO World Heritage

Look at the museum website (english version):
http://www.arles-antique.cg13.fr/mdaa_cg...tm?lang=en

And for fun, there is an roman festival in august in Arles (21th to 28th)
http://festival-arelate.com/site/
If you are interested in Roman engineering, perhaps you would like a visit to the Barbegal acqueduct and water mill site close to Arles. I've never been there, but just recently read an article published by one of the main excavators. It sounds like a fascinating place.
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
Thank you for the insight! That Roman festival sounds like a ton of fun as well. I will begin planning the sites and areas to visit.:-D
Markus Aurelius Montanvs

Roman Artifacts

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Military Might in South Carolina D B Campbell 2 1,295 09-28-2015, 02:36 PM
Last Post: D B Campbell
  Roman Baths South of the Thames Vindex 16 3,238 09-28-2011, 10:54 PM
Last Post: Vindex