Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rome foundation parade April 21
Hi forum,

by accident I stumbled across this video of a reenactors' parade celebrating Rome's foundation, which is supposed to have happened April 21 753 BC...

http://www.gmx.net/themen/wissen/mensch/767icuo

(you have to bear with the ad before the vid starts)

I have two questions: are there anymore, and hopefully much better, videos of this year's parade? Or pictures?
Second, and a little OT... what is it with that silly stomping? Is that supposed to be a marching style? I see this in documentaries quite often, so I figured it is popular with reenactors, but why?

regards
Kai
------------
[Image: regnumhesperium.png]
Can't view the video, but I can imagine what you are referring to.
If you haven't done it I imagine it looks odd, but it seems to come about naturally
When marching in step, and also from
What I understand, most impressions from caligae or hobnailed boots tend
To be full on even pressured imprints. If so this would imply a funny looking, stomping style of step!
I find it a safe method of marching or even just walking in armour and hobnails
When on pavements of roads, as walking in modern full extended stepmwill inevitably
Result in a loud crashing sound accompanied by much swearing(and little if any sympathy
From fellow comilitones)8)
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Walking with a "normal, modern" heel rolling to toe step is fine in shoes built with arch supports and heels. With flat-soled shoes, such as caligae, many people have found that walking "flat-footed" is more comfortable over a long distance, and once learned, is much more stable, as GJC says. Our roads and pavement are not really designed for ancient shoes.

Nothing like expecting the shoe to grip the slick floor when making a turn, then finding that it does not, and you sprawl on that floor, leaving rows of scratches from the hobnails. Doesn't make one popular in a hotel lobby, for example. Go ahead: ask me how I know....
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
The shot of the feet marching is really good. And the shot with the basket of melons is classic.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Interesting! Thank you very much, this indeed explains something.

regards
Kai
------------
[Image: regnumhesperium.png]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Birthday of Rome parade on the 22th of April 2012 hadrianus batavius 19 3,741 04-27-2012, 11:54 PM
Last Post: hadrianus batavius
  Rome Parade - UK Travel arrangemnts Marcus Caecilius Avitus 54 11,787 04-20-2008, 06:02 PM
Last Post: Theodosius the Great