Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
4th Century Gear
Valentinian Victrix wrote:

covered over ın concrete, covered over by a very dırty, condensatıon fılled glass cover (allowıng a very obscured vıew of some fragments)

How clever! The concrete will dissolve any detail in the marble, and by keeping the other parts covered in glas, which by its impermeability causes water to accumulate in the marble underneath, they have taken care that the detailing will quickly dissolve there as well. So they have assured the destruction of all that is left. Accurately qualifying this vandalism would mean a breach of the Forums language rules, so # @ * <> !.
Quote:Accurately qualifying this vandalism would mean a breach of the Forums language rules
Yes, it probably would. Good thing you didn't say that, eh?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Robert Vermaat wrote:

it's called progress

That is not the word I would use. If it was the usual case of a car park being built over a Roman Forum or a new Shopping centre built over a Roman baths, that happened in Chester, that is sadly what we have come to expect in terms of 'progress'.

However this appears to have been a 'restoration project' carried out under the auspices of a University. Sadly I am not familiar with the geography of the city but parts of Istanbul are supposed to be within a UNESCO world heritage site.

Perhaps rather than just saying this is 'sad' maybe we as a collective should write to that organisation and inform them of what has happened, with the pictures as evidence.

Michael. David Breeze had dealings with UNESCO for the designation of the Antonine Wall. I wonder if this is worth reporting to him and the Hadrianic Society?

An embarrassment for the city.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Quote:Michael. David Breeze had dealings with UNESCO for the designation of the Antonine Wall. I wonder if this is worth reporting to him and the Hadrianic Society?
It's worth a thought, although I expect that some pretty heavy politics will come into this. Let's see what Adrian's photographs look like.
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
I've posted the photos Michael, look for the thread entitled 'Late Roman Monumental works lost'
Adrian Coombs-Hoar
Sorry, Adrian, I hadn't looked at the Index over the bank holiday. I have some thoughts and will post them there.
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)