Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman sites along the Danube
Quote:But in the archaeological section the rooms are so dark, that it is hard to take good pictures. At the same time it is difficult to use flash, because the glass showcases reflect the light and spoil the picture. I admit that it is also partially my fault, because I'm not good in taking photos and do not know all the tricks how to use the camera in dark environments.

Here's a trick you can try in future; you need to stand at an angle to the glass case. For best results, the angle should be at 55 deg to the vertical. At this angle, the reflected light will be 'plane polarised' (this is something called "Brewster's Law" in optics: the tangent of the angle of reflection is equal to the refractive index of the medium, for glass/air this will be the aforementioned figure of 55 deg.) If you have a polarising filter on the camera lens, turning this at right angles to the reflected light should see most of the reflections disappear but the reflections will be lessened just by taking the picture from this angle.

Caratacus
(Mike Thomas)
visne scire quod credam? credo orbes volantes exstare.
Quote:It's becoming more and more dangerous for American tourists-researchers in more countries than I want to think about.

Just don't leave bits of stealth helicopter behind - draws the wrong sort of attention.

Back in The Land of Topic, has anyone mentioned Gamzigrad? Worth a visit, I would venture, particularly after a paper at the last ROMEC on the remains of Galerius' (second) funeral pyre being found there.

Mention of Trajan's Bridge recalls a brush with destiny, since it was next to the Romanian riverine fleet's base. The Good Dr Coulston nearly got us arrested by a man in an unfeasibly large hat (who was ultimately sent packing by the museum curator - she was built like a shot-putter and, although very nice and helpful to us, was not going to stand for a jumped-up little twerp like that... so Coulston got his photos). Also nearly got shot at Alba Iulia, but that's another story...

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Quote:has anyone mentioned Gamzigrad? Worth a visit, I would venture, particularly after a paper at the last ROMEC on the remains of Galerius' (second) funeral pyre being found there.
Romuliana - yup, is on the list. Thanks for confirming that I ought to go there!
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
You forgot Novi Sad - Vojvodjanski Muzej

http://www.muzejvojvodine.org.rs/?eng

Also if You move a little bit towards west (70 km) visit Sirmium
http://www.carskapalata.rs/imperialpalace.html
http://www.muzejsrema.org.rs/english/main.htm Archaeological collection is in the old building in St. Stefan's sq.

It would be nice if You could tell us your itinerary. I was thinking, if You plan to go to Sarmisegetuza from Serbia, You have to do it from Banat side which means that You can not cross Danube after You go to Viminacium and Lederata (nearest bridge is Djerdap electricity plant). By the way You should go to Lederata, although the site is not prepared for visitors.
When You go to Kladovo, Diana fort is near.
If You go to Bulgaria definitely Archaeological Museum in Sofia. Also Novae-Svishtov. Legionary Fortress - site, museum, and museum collection in Svishtov.
Stefan Pop-Lazic
by a stuff demand, and personal hesitation
Quote:Here's a trick you can try in future; you need to stand at an angle to the glass case. For best results, the angle should be at 55 deg to the vertical. At this angle, the reflected light will be 'plane polarised' (this is something called "Brewster's Law" in optics: the tangent of the angle of reflection is equal to the refractive index of the medium, for glass/air this will be the aforementioned figure of 55 deg.) If you have a polarising filter on the camera lens, turning this at right angles to the reflected light should see most of the reflections disappear but the reflections will be lessened just by taking the picture from this angle.
Thank you, Mike. I tried to take the pictures from various angles. Sometimes it helped, sometimes not much. I will have to learn how to use cameras properly, I guess Big Grin
Quote:It would be nice if You could tell us your itinerary.
In the first place, thanks for so much good advice. At the moment, my itenerary is more or less this:
  • Day 01: Departure from Amsterdam; Saalburg
  • O/N Stuttgart
  • Day 02: Museum Stuttgart, expo on the Celts
  • O/N Stuttgart
  • Day 03: Transfer to Munich, museums over there (no need to visit Aalen etc; I've already been there)
  • O/N Munich
  • Day 04: Transver to Vienna; minor monuments
  • O/N Vienna
  • Day 05: Art historical museum; Ephesus Museum; Vienna city museum
  • O/N Vienna
  • Day 06: Oberleiserberg and museum van Mikulov
  • O/N Vienna
  • Day 07: Carnuntum
  • O/N Budapest
  • Day 08: Museum of fine arts; Naional museum
  • O/N Budapest
  • Day 09: Aquincum
  • O/N Budapest
  • Day 10: Novi Sad, Sremska Mitrovica
  • O/N Belgrade
  • Day 11: Necropoles of Belgrade, Military museum,
  • O/N Belgrade
  • Day 12: -
  • O/N Belgrade
  • Day 13: Viminacium; Romuliana; Lederata
  • O/N Belgrade
  • Day 14: Iron Gate, Diana, the sad remain's of Trajan's bridge,
  • O/N ?
  • Day 15: The two Sarmizegetus
  • O/N Bucarest
  • Day 16: Bucarest
  • O/N Bucarest
  • Day 17: Dinogetia and Halmyris, delta of the Danube
  • O/N Histria
  • Day 18: Histria, Adamclissi
  • O/N Histria
  • Day 19: Flight back to Amsterdam
I think that Bulgaria, with its Thracian remains, Varna and the Sophia Museum, are better postponed to another occasion.
Jona Lendering
My website
Sorry but Singidunum necropolis is not visible. If You stay for 3 days in Belgrade, You will probably visit Belgrade fortress. On the NE side of medieval fortress there are 15 meters of Roman castra wall and a part of tower visible. Before You enter Kalemegdan park there is Belgrade city Library, enter and ask for Roman hall which is in the basement. There is a part of Porta decumana.
General opinion towards Your Itinerary. Romuliana is generally of your main course. You will need one whole day from Djerdap to Zajecar (museum - one hour) then ROmuliana (fort-two hours) then Magura (hill above Romuliana - one hour - half hour by foot, and nothing special to see except the view towards Romuliana).
Maybe You could leave for next occasion Timacum Minus site and museum in Ravna, Romuliana, Sharkamen, Naissus - museum in Nis(in fact Mediana site), Iustiniana Prima-site, generally Bulgaria.
The problem is with the roads which are mostly in bad condition so in some parts You won't be able to drive more than 50 km/h.
I don't know about Croatian part which could be interesting. On tuesday I have meeting with colleagues in Osijek (Mursa) and I will ask them if there is something interesting on their side of limes for visitors ( I mean sites, I know that Museum of Slavonija is very interesting, also Vinkovci (Cibalae) and Vukovar Museum).
Some of the sites mentioned do not have the strictly the Limes character but are important for the Late Roman period, but this is nice opportunity to visit them.
If You cross Serbian-Romanian border at Djerdap plant crossing, You should check the Trajan's bridge by Drobeta (Pontes and Drobeta are forts one across each other by the bridge).
Now I have seen that You mentioned plane at the end of the journey. Do You have plan to use car for this trip??? If not, some ideas have to be changed.
Stefan Pop-Lazic
Quote:Day 15: The two Sarmizegetus

When we did it in 1987, you needed a 4x4 to get to S. Regia as it was up a logging track (well within the capabilities of my Land Rover, but hairy in places) - the picture below was taken parked just by the entrance to the fortifications. Worth finding out if they have put a proper road in yet.

Mike Bishop

[Image: jerpd2.jpg]

Quote:General opinion towards Your Itinerary.
I've read it - thanks. I will reply later.
Quote:Worth finding out if they have put a proper road in yet.
Yup. Although I managed to get up to Nemrud Dagi in a Fiat [strike]Pinda[/strike] Panda, so we mustn't underestimate the power of small cars.Wink
Jona Lendering
My website
Quote:I managed to get up to Nemrud Dagi in a Fiat [strike]Pinda[/strike] Panda, so we mustn't underestimate the power of small cars.Wink
Trust me, you'll need more than that if they haven't surfaced it :lol: As I said, it was a logging track and there was a checkpoint to get onto it and they wouldn't let you through if your vehicle didn't look up to the task. Had some really splendid hairpin bends with sheer drops to one side or t'other and you needed first gear in low box to do 'em. Great fun (even more going back down as Gertrude used to jump out of gear in the overrun)! Most definitely worth the trip to the top, though (amazing site with breathtaking views).

Mike Bishop

Hello, in Bulgaria you may visit Novae near Svishtov - see the web page here: www.provinces.uw.edu.pl. The site is situated 3 km east of Svishtov, at Pametnitsite. The museum at the place is closed in summer, but actually most of the finds are in the Historical Museum in Svishtov (Saborna str.). Oescus is interesting but difficult to get there. Best wishes and have a nice trip! P.S. Near Novae, there is a nice restaurant at the Pametnitsite place ;-)
Bulgaria, yes. It's worth two weeks for itself, and that's what I'm gonna do. I have decided to split my itinerary: in 2012, until Belgrade; in 2013, Bulgaria. With lots of attention for the Thracians as well.
Jona Lendering
My website
Hi Jona,
Your trip sounds very interesting. I'd agree with the other comments about Serbian sites being far apart. I was in Nis in 1998 and travelled south from there on a very early train tp Leskovac and on to Libane and from there by taxi to Cirician Grad / Justinia Prima, of which there is a lot still standing. Absolutely bucketed rain which spoiled it somewhat. Got back to Nis and took the train to Zaejcar and from there a taxi to Gamzigrad which is well worth the trip. However the trains are slow and the journey long and in retrospect too much for 1 day. I'll post some photos shortly.

As for doing Bulgaria and Romania, I am planning to visit them myself and next year in September the Limes Congress is being held at Ruse in Bulgaria in September. May be worth trying to go to that as it has organised excursions to sites. I've never made it to a Limes congress yet but this may the one. Aside from the Danube fortifications, Mesembria/Nessebur has a well preserved 5/6th century gate and towers not to mention lots of later Byzantine churches. There was not much trace of the Roman walls visible at Plovdiv back in 1994 when I was there, only a tower base, but Hisar/Diocletianopolis, about 1 hour north on the train, has an excellent set of walls with staircases and remains of towers including a fan shaped tower. Well worth the vistit. Unfirtunatley most of my photos from that trip and a bit blurred due to having bought a second hand lense while abroad which unbeknown to me had soft focus filter on the front, not a UV one as I was told! Made it a bit of a wasted photo tour.

http://www.limes2012.naim.bg/
If someone is planning to visit Carichin Grad-Iustiniana Prima, there are excavations right now, so You will be able to get some extra info on site.
Stefan Pop-Lazic

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman sites in the Cotswolds Purplest 9 4,063 08-01-2016, 06:14 PM
Last Post: Purplest
  Roman Military sites Oct 11 2,966 06-19-2010, 11:15 PM
Last Post: Longovicium
  Roman sites in Germany? Galloglass 6 2,253 10-02-2008, 12:46 AM
Last Post: Americus