Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Body Armour...reviews?
http://www.amazon.ca/Roman-Body-Armour-T...315&sr=1-1

There is the link to this book from Amazon.ca. Just wondering if anyone has heard of it, or the authors, and if it's worth investing in? Sounds pretty interesting...

Legion: TBD
Quote:http://www.amazon.ca/Roman-Body-Armour-T...315&sr=1-1

There is the link to this book from Amazon.ca. Just wondering if anyone has heard of it, or the authors, and if it's worth investing in? Sounds pretty interesting...

Already raised in a thread elsewhere, but I can't seem to find a way to link to threads like the old system (this one uses frames which have been deprecated in HTML for donkey's years!). I don't think anybody has read it yet as it was only published on April 1st (!) so most of us are still probably waiting for a postie to struggle along with a copy. I ordered mine from the Book Depository via Amazon Market, which proved the cheapest way... but not necessarily the fastest.

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Quote:
Magnus post=286627 Wrote:http://www.amazon.ca/Roman-Body-Armour-T...315&sr=1-1

Already raised in a thread elsewhere, but I can't seem to find a way to link to threads like the old system (this one uses frames which have been deprecated in HTML for donkey's years!). I don't think anybody has read it yet as it was only published on April 1st (!) so most of us are still probably waiting for a postie to struggle along with a copy. I ordered mine from the Book Depository via Amazon Market, which proved the cheapest way... but not necessarily the fastest.

Mike Bishop

Although a bit off-topic, to link to a post, just right-click (under windows) on the number on the right top corner of a post and choose 'save link as'. This link will get you to the specified topic Big Grin
ALA I BATAVORUM
Looking forward to the review then Mike!

Just ordered it. Will report when I've had a look at it. It ships from Britannia, so it may be a while.
Quote:Looking forward to the review then Mike!

Bishop's Rule No.2. Besides, it does not exactly appear to be hurrying my way and even Amazon's main site is quoting a long lead-in time. No time to read it for a few days anyway so it will be my treat for when I have finished my current book (and I don't mean reading).

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Nice rule Mike lol. Who are you pointing me too then...Mr. Roberts? Cool

In the mean time, I have attached chapter headings & synopsis with some sample illustrations on the other thread:
http://www.ancient-warfare.org/index.php...=40#286729
Just tried to buy one, but it is out of stock. The summary seems very interesting.

This book assesses current views of the body armour used by the Roman army and its development, melding these with the archaeological evidence available. It draws together the streams of published information of sculptural imagery and archaeological 'hard' evidence, while also looking at the component parts and how they are physically put together. This has involved a return to basics, in examining wherever possible the original material (as opposed to the published 2-D photographic images and line drawings) and attempting to reproduce the aspects of the artefacts observed through physical reconstruction. The reconstructions produced were then subjected to low-level, simulated wear, over several years, to view component inter-action, and simulated combat/ destructive testing using a range of weaponry, including archery equipment, to view which parts were more susceptible to damage, and what features may be anticipated archaeologically on artefacts as evidence of regular wear, combat damage and field repairs. Discrepancies were also noted between current reconstructions of Roman military equipment (by museums and re-enactors), which have been produced based on previous desk-based assessments, and the reality of the actual artefacts, particularly in the case of the segmented plate armour (lorica segmentata), which may cause us to re-think not only the appearance, but also the function/fighting methods of the Roman soldier.
Titius Vedius Medullinus
Some of the suppliers do appear to have it out of stock.
Which ones did you try?
The Amberley ones should not be out of stock as they are the actual publishers, but they wouldn't be such a discounted price (but the others can be any price they like if they haven't got any).
Found my copy on E-bay ... from Australia, no less....

Ralph

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Protecting the Body in War and Combat. Metal Body Armour in Bronze Age Europe Gunthamund Hasding 1 1,549 11-28-2017, 06:07 PM
Last Post: Feinman
  Roman Body Armour, Hilary & John Travis Jonathan Fletcher 19 7,001 08-26-2015, 01:43 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar
  Roman Body Armour Edited Gaius Julius Caesar 2 2,317 11-06-2011, 06:38 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar