Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Battlefield Map Library -
Hi all,

Let's create a library of battlefield maps for research purposes. After all, how can you re-enact something without a model of what really happened? Does anyone know of any good websites? It would be also good to understand what historic battlegrounds have been destroyed by "progress" and which ones are still open to preservation opportunities.

Giannis
If you have Google Earth you're welcome to use these to find the 2nd Battle of Cremona, a potential Mons Graupius, and Kalkriese.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Cheers Jim! Smile
Ioannis Georganas, PhD
Secretary and Newsletter Editor
The Society of Ancient Military Historians
http://www.ancientmilitaryhistorians.org/

And here's Mons Graupius at Bennachie (possibly).
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Ioannis, let me know if the overlay for Cremona loads properly, assuming you're going to use it that is.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Jim, it works properly. Thanks again mate!
Ioannis Georganas, PhD
Secretary and Newsletter Editor
The Society of Ancient Military Historians
http://www.ancientmilitaryhistorians.org/

What a superb thread this is!

Are there anymore Google Earth overlays like this?
Paul, military historian, wargamer and battlefield explorer.
I can add several links, but I do not know how to make and include those -.KMZ-files. If someone tells me, I will add quite a lot of them.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
I think many of you will like the link to this page. The best photos are indicated in yellow.
Jona Lendering
My website
Quote:I think many of you will like the link to this page. The best photos are indicated in yellow.

Very nice links, thanks. I don't know about the other countries, but isn't the list for The Netherlands based on air photography, not satellite images?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:I don't know about the other countries, but isn't the list for The Netherlands based on air photography, not satellite images?
Dunno. Google Earth/Google Maps say it's all based on satellite imagery, and all photos are indeed vertical, not diagonal, as I would have expected if the photos were taken from a plane. But I am a poor judge in these matters.
Jona Lendering
My website
Quote:I don't know about the other countries, but isn't the list for The Netherlands based on air photography, not satellite images?
If the satellite or shuttle were not directly over the subject then you would get the slight hint of vertical sidewalls as seen. It would need for the spacecraft to be directly over the building otherwise, which is probably not feasible for the entire globe.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:
Vortigern Studies:ms2hoq7t Wrote:I don't know about the other countries, but isn't the list for The Netherlands based on air photography, not satellite images?
Dunno. Google Earth/Google Maps say it's all based on satellite imagery, and all photos are indeed vertical, not diagonal, as I would have expected if the photos were taken from a plane. But I am a poor judge in these matters.
I know for a fact that the Houten region is based on aerial photographs. We use the same data for our information.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Holland obviously can't afford spaceships.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
There is a long term academic project in the works to collect ancient battlefield maps, using modern technology, and attempt to present them in a digitally friendly project, update with accompanying comprehensive scholarship as well. Probably still a few years away before success, but there are people working on this. Line drawing maps are just embarrassing when we have excellent tools now.
Dan Powers
Society of Ancient Military Historians, Secretary
http://arkaion-bellum.com/

“It’s not a matter of being afraid or not, it’s about what you do when you ARE afraid”