Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
beroia xipos
hello

somebody have photo or informations about the beroia xipos? I would like to reconstruct this xipos.

thank you.
PierPaolo siercovich
Which one is the Beroia xiphos? Is it the one Connolly depicts in Greece and Rome at War?
When i visited Beroia unfortunately the museum was closed for restoration.
However i have seen many greek swords found in Macedonia,including those from Vergina,Derveni and Sindos. Perhaps i can be of help,because i have tried to identify the different hilt construction tecniques.
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
I am definitely interested in a good Xiphos replica!
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
I think this is the sword in question:
Beroia, 370-350 BC
It comes from a cist grave in Beroia. The long, leaf-shaped blade is made of hammered iron. It had an ivory pommel and a cylindrical handle that widens in the middle. The handle is decorated with two embossed gold leaf figures of Nike, each holding a shield and sword, and standing on Ionic columns. This particular type of sword with its long blade and flattened cylindrical handle was most commonly used between the 6th century BC and the late Hellenistic period. This example was probably made in a Macedonian workshop. The same grave also produced a bronze hydria containing the bones of the deceased and many other interesting funerary gifts.Its length is 0,60 m. I think we have posted a drawing of it ages ago. I'll do a search.
Peter Raftos
Peter,the photo doesn't work for me
Giannis K. Hoplite
OK Try
Beroia, 370-350 BC
Here is the drawing:

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Peter Raftos
My Armoury Xiphos build
Have a look at this reconstruction. Perhaps the best to date.
Peter Raftos
Ok,now i see it. Unfortunately it is the only photo of this sword i have. I want to see it up close some day.
Giannis K. Hoplite

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  greek xipos 2 munazio planco 2 1,520 07-28-2011, 01:56 PM
Last Post: Megas Aleksandros
  greek xipos munazio planco 6 2,681 07-19-2011, 09:46 AM
Last Post: munazio planco