Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Review: The Silver Branch by Rosemary Sutcliff
The Silver Branch is the second novel in the loosely linked Roman Britain trilogy by Rosemary Sutcliff. It was published in 1957, just a few years after the tremendous success of The Eagle of the Ninth, the first book. Like all of Sutcliff’s work, The Silver Branch was written for children, but thanks to its rich prose and compelling story, also holds considerable appeal for adults. Sutcliff died in 1992, and while she has been far from forgotten, her name has this year come into the limelight once more. The Eagle is currently showing in movie complexes all over America, no doubt winning over a huge new audience for her wonderfully written books.

I for one have no need of being won over. It’s thirty years or more since I first became acquainted with Rosemary Sutcliff, and I’ve been a fan ever since. The Roman Britain trilogy is partly responsible for helping me to change professions too ― from that of a veterinarian to a writer of military historical fiction, namely about the Romans. As a mark of my respect for Sutcliff, the title of my second book, The Silver Eagle, actually pays homage to the first two volumes of her trilogy.

And so to The Silver Branch, which is set in the last decade of the third century AD, more than a hundred and fifty years after the dramatic events of The Eagle of the Ninth. By this time, the Empire was considerably weaker than it had been in the glory days that ran from approximately AD 100-200. It was now commonplace for two, or even three, emperors to share power. One such was Carausius, a man with humble origins who’d risen through the ranks to become the commander of the fleet that protected the English Channel from Saxon raiders. Threatened by Carausius’ success, the Emperor Maximian ordered his execution. Hearing of this, Carausius seized power in late AD 286 or early AD 287, declaring himself emperor of Britain and northern Gaul.

Several years later, but with the same dramatic backdrop, The Silver Branch begins. The book has two central characters, both of whom are army officers. The first is Tiberius Lucius Justinianus, or Justin, a shy young military surgeon who has been posted to Britain. The second is Centurion Marcelus Flavius Aquila, a confident scion of the same family as the main protagonist of The Eagle of the Ninth. As it turns out, the two are distantly related cousins. Finding that they have much in common, they quickly become firm friends. Meeting the emperor Carausius on the road one wintry day, they are both taken by his down to earth manner and brave visions for the future. He describes to them a time when, despite the troubles surrounding Rome, the province of Britain will be strong enough to stand on its own.

Soon after, a chance encounter on a hunting trip by the coast changes both men’s lives forever. They spot Allectus, Carausius’ Finance Minister, talking to a Saxon raider. Capturing the Saxon, they transport him back to their fort and request a meeting with the emperor. By the time they talk to Carausius, the Saxon has been poisoned to death. It is then the two junior officers’ word against that of Allectus, the second most powerful man in Britain. Rather than death, Carausius offers them exile, and the pair are sent to serve in a fort on Hadrian’s Wall.

From there, events begin to take on a life of their own. Carausius is overthrown and slain by Allectus, who is in league with the treacherous Saxons. As supporters of Carausius, the two cousins have to flee for their lives. A journey south takes them to Calleva (modern day Silchester) as well as the Aquila family farm and the coastal town of Portus Adurni (Portchester). Their plans to flee to Gaul change when they are asked to help fight the evil Allectus from within Britain. The last third of the book brings the story to a spectacular conclusion, culminating with the cousins’ involvement in the large scale invasion of the island by Constantius, Maximian’s co-ruler.

The Silver Branch has a much larger list of characters than The Eagle of the Ninth, and this adds to its appeal. As well as Justin and Flavius, we have the genial Carausius, the cold, calculating Allectus, Evicatos, the brooding warrior, and Cullen, the faithful King’s Hound. Last but not least, there is the fierce old matriarch, Great-Aunt Honoria. Every one of these protagonists is simply but splendidly drawn, and their presence successfully enlarges the tale for the reader. Rich images from the first book also reappear: the Aquila signet ring with the carved green dolphin at its heart and the eagle standard that Marcus retrieved in Scotland. Themes of comradeship and loyalty ― to family and friends, as well as to ideals ― are central to the plotline, and appeal to us all. As always, Sutcliff’s descriptions of the time are vivid and for the most part, extremely authentic. It is this rare ability to draw us completely into ancient times that makes The Silver Branch and her other works such a joy to read. Be sure to read The Eagle of the Ninth first, however!

(previously published on www.commandposts.com)
Ben Kane, bestselling author of the Eagles of Rome, Spartacus and Hannibal novels.

Eagles in the Storm released in UK on March 23, 2017.
Aguilas en la tormenta saldra en 2017.

www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor
Facebook: facebook.com/benkanebooks
Not all of Sutcliff's books were YA. Her "A Sword at Sunset" was an adult novel and for my money the best of all the "historical Arthur" tales. I highly recommend it.
Good point - I'd forgotten that. Thanks! Must get to re-reading that one as well...
Ben Kane, bestselling author of the Eagles of Rome, Spartacus and Hannibal novels.

Eagles in the Storm released in UK on March 23, 2017.
Aguilas en la tormenta saldra en 2017.

www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor
Facebook: facebook.com/benkanebooks
Quote:Not all of Sutcliff's books were YA.

There's also The Flowers of Adonis, a grown-up book about Alcibiades and the Peloponnesian War - I read it many years ago when I was at school (advanced for my years, I suppose!), and it was the first 'proper' historical novel I'd read, and to date one of the best. Very vivid and involving - the residence in Sparta and at the Persian court particularly if I remember correctly...

- Nathan
Nathan Ross
I never knew about that one. I'll have to look for it. Many years ago I read Mary Renault's "The Last of the Wine" about Alcibiades and the Sicilian Expedition. It might be fun to contrast the two.
The ideas and reflections expressed here are important to me .I finished reading "The Silver Branch" long ago .

Yet the sensation of revisiting a living Roman Military experience exists till this day .

Either because of or regardless of the oft repeated past life conjecture of General George Patton there is need for some to revisit these times .
I feel the well researched historical novel is a good visit to those times .

I am working on a novel about two sieges in ancient Syracuse both Athenian and the later Roman siege .Any reference to good monographs or novels is well appreciated .

Best Regards
Bruce Ross Morgan

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Review:The Eagle of the Ninth by Rosemary Sutcliff ParthianBow 42 10,367 09-10-2011, 04:38 AM
Last Post: Brent Nielsen
  Review: The Lantern Bearers by Rosemary Sutcliff ParthianBow 4 2,230 04-22-2011, 04:27 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat