Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Miniature ERI Legion in 1:20
Salve -

Anyone out there have a complete miniature ERI Legion?

I'm planing on building one, using 28mm Warlord Games minis, that will have all ten cohorts. Each cohort will have ,24 miniatures representing a total of 480 fighting men, in addition to the officers, in 6 centuriae. The first cohort will be double strength but with only 5 centuriae instead of the normal 6.

Along with the cohorts I plan to have a 120 man Alae (cavalry unit), the Eques Legionis for use as scouts and messengers.

After these units I'm planning on adding some Eastern Archers as well as a couple units of Auxilia Infantry and a unit of Auxilia Alae.

Once all of these are complete the whole army will be rounded out with a few war machines and some additional units for color and interest.

I'd like to know if anyone else has done this and if so would you be willing to share some pictures?

Vale -
Correus

VALETE
APPIVS·IVLIANVS·CORREVS·APICIVS
(a.k.a. Larry Simpson)

The truth may be boring, and even unpleasant: But it is always better than half truths and out right lies.
VALETE
CORREVS·APPIVS·IVLIANVS·APICIVS
(a.k.a. Larry Simpson)

The truth may be boring, and even unpleasant: But it is always better than half truths and out right lies.
Make sure you post some pictures; I would like to see that.

:mrgreen:
Titius Vedius Medullinus
Quote:Make sure you post some pictures; I would like to see that.

:lol: So would I!!!

My first batch of Legionaries will arrive shortly as will a couple boxes of Auxilia. I normally would wait till all the Legionaries would be purchased before getting the other, but a guy on eBay had such a great deal!!

Correus
VALETE
(a.k.a. Larry Simpson)

That's a lot of figures. How much would all that cost?
Hello, my name is Harry.
Quote:That's a lot of figures. How much would all that cost?

Well, it does sound like a lot, but when compared to other gaming periods, such as Napoleonics, it isn't. For example, I'm working on a Napoleonic Russian Musketeer Battalion that has 32 minis in 28mm. I'm also starting to work on a Russian Napoleonic Hussar regiment that will have 32 minis. I'm using 'In the Grand Manner' rules as well as 'LaSalle' rules. One army in these rules can have over 400 minis.

As to the Roman Legion I'm working on it will break down to something like this:

1st Cohort = 45 minis (this might change)
2nd - 10th Cohort = 24 minis each

Legion Total = 261

2 Cohorts of Auxilia = 16 or 18 minis each

2 Archer units = 16 or 18 minis each

2 Skirmish units = 12 or 16 minis each

Equites Alares Cavalry = 16 minis (may change to 12)

Auxiliary Cavalry = 16 minis (may change to 12)

This doesn't include specialty figures like ballista and such either.

All the minis will be in 28mm and most will be in hard plastic. I am buying the minis from Warlord Games.

In metal this Roman army would easily top $1K but in plastic it will be about 1/3.

Cheers!
Correus
VALETE
(a.k.a. Larry Simpson)

I'm also building a 10 cohort legion, nearly six done, most of the units to add color have already been finished, including 2 units of 24 gladiators, they really don't much sense but i loved the figures.

All have been painted to a very high standard (not by myself), i also have quite a few cavalry, total is about 400 figures, all Wargames Foundry. This Army was started a while ago, and has been sat waiting to be finished quite a few years, but i'm sorting that now.

Sorry about the quality of the photos, they are only snaps i took so i could remember what i had when i was planning stuff.

I'm going to get some "heavy cavalry" but nobody makes contariorum or cataphractaria for Early or Middle Imperial Romans, everything you can get is much later.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)