Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Making a domed Late Roman shield
There are a few folks I know of who have tried to make dished medieval shields in this sort of way, and from what I recall they only get mixed success, at best. The problem is that you are trying to not just bend wood, but dish it, either stretching or compressing it in a way it was designed to prevent! But I've heard of a method that might help:

Instead of supporting the center, set the wet wood on a raised ring (4 or 5 inches high should do). Then you can either pull the center downward using a large threaded bold of some sort through a hole in the center of the blank (with a circular plate or block of wood to serve as a washer, maybe 6" in diameter); or force the center downwards with weights or a jack braced against a handy ceiling. (Don't wreck the shed roof...)

If I were trying this, I'd use 2 layers of thinner wood, soaking both and leaving in the press to dry, then I'd do it again. After drying the second time, THEN I'd put glue between the dry layers and put them back in the press until the glue is dry, giving a total of 3 sessions in the press.

But however you do it, don't be surprised if you only have an inch or two of depth when it's done... If it works better than that, though, we want to know exactly how you did it!! Cuz I know a number of guys who would like a dished shield, including myself. And all I can think of at the moment is laying a number of thick slabs together and chiseling of a heck of a lot of wood... Authentic as heck, and a heck of a chore!

Good luck and Vale,

Matthew
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/

Messages In This Thread
Re: Making a domed Late Roman shield - by Matthew Amt - 03-30-2011, 12:36 AM
Re: Making a domed Late Roman shield - by Caballo - 10-23-2011, 09:36 PM
Re: Making a domed Late Roman shield - by Caballo - 10-23-2011, 10:06 PM
Re: Making a domed Late Roman shield - by Caballo - 10-23-2011, 10:37 PM
Re: Making a domed Late Roman shield - by Caballo - 10-26-2011, 02:05 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Late Roman Shield construction Nic 3 1,281 02-22-2020, 12:14 AM
Last Post: Nic
  Making a late 4th c. spatha from nothing M. Val. Naso 9 2,268 09-30-2012, 04:59 PM
Last Post: Augustus Janus
  Domed Parma M. Demetrius 6 2,117 05-16-2011, 03:35 AM
Last Post: M. Demetrius