Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One-Piece Raised Roman Helmet Project
[attachment=431]eBowl114.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=432]eBowl116.JPG[/attachment]

Here I've refined the edges, smoothed and shaped the crown and neckguard and done a little trimming so it really looks close to its final shape.

[attachment=433]eBowl129.JPG[/attachment]

Taping on the two prognathids (cheekguards) I'd made previously, it really looks as it should- this is the Wiesenau Robinson designation Gallic C (one of the most well-made helmets known).

[attachment=434]eBowl121OverlayComposite.JPG[/attachment]

Here I've superimposed a semi-transparent photo of the original on my recreation to demonstrate that the shapes are very close.

[attachment=435]eEyebrows043.JPG[/attachment]

In this shot I've begun putting in the 'eyebrows'- hammered out from the inside using a blunt chisel and then refined externally using various stakes and other tools. It's tricky working out what shape inside will translate to what shape outside; I didn't get it quite right, but it's very close to the real thing at least Wink

[attachment=436]eNeckguard007.JPG[/attachment]

Next I went on to forming the terraces on the neckguard- simple enough using two punch tools and a wooden form, but it took quite a while to refine the shapes so they're just like the original.

That's where my work on the bowl has ended for the moment- I still have yet to form the three ridges on the occipital section, which is the last major forming step. I'll post pictures when I get there. An interesting thing to note here is that I discovered due to the shaping of the occipital section and having to leave the neckguard at an angle, the metal there became somewhat thinner than most everywhere else- I've wondered if that is the reason for the occipital ridges; they obviously stiffen the form, but it's not an area particularly susceptible to damage given it's curved and has the angled neckguard immediatly adjacent to stiffen it- IF the metal is of the same thickness as everywhere else; but since it's not, additional ridging reinforces it. I really wonder if the area on artifact helmets is measurably thinner than elsewhere...

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!

Messages In This Thread
Re: One-Piece Raised Roman Helmet Project - by Matt Lukes - 03-25-2011, 01:50 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  One-Piece Raised Weisenau (Robinson Gallic C) Creon01 3 1,138 02-27-2014, 04:13 AM
Last Post: Creon01
  Raising a one-piece helmet Tim Mathews 10 4,771 07-19-2008, 02:00 PM
Last Post: M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER