Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Castra Aestiva VI Tillsonburg location
This year will be the best ever! We are located by way of google earth at 42*46'28.16" N 80*41'35.34" W The resolution is bad but you can make out a fort outline.

Castra Aestiva VI Tillsonburg, Ontario Canada May 28 & 29, 2011 (Memorial Weekend)

I wanted to remind everyone that Castra Aestiva VI is approaching. The event is located just south of Tillsonburg in Ontario which is 2 hours drive from Port Huron or 3 hours from Detroit and about 2.5 hours from Buffalo. The event features a recreated Roman fort. This year we will be focusing on military maneuvers and fighting as single entity in battle formation. The event also involves military leadership, atack on the fort, black smiting, patrols, drill, archery, pilum, sling and rock throwing training. Last year we had over 30 roman reenactors out. For more information contact [email protected]
TQS
T. Quartinius Saturnalus
Legio XXX
T. Quartinius Saturnalus
Legio XXX

AKA Tom Ross
Next weekend April 16 & 17 we will be working on the fort. We will be erecting the corner towers and puting in temporary oven. It looks like we will have about 6 to 7 guys each day. If the weather is good we should get a lot done. TQS
T. Quartinius Saturnalus
Legio XXX

AKA Tom Ross
Two of 4 corner towers are near complete. I will be working on 3 & 4 this weekend. Things are really shaping up for the event. We should 30 to 40 out for the event. TQS
T. Quartinius Saturnalus
Legio XXX

AKA Tom Ross
Salvete,

Who would have thought? Two recreated Wooden Roman Forts in N. America. Are there more out there lurking about this side of the Atlantic!? And nary an actual Roman ever set foot in N. America! Being a "Newbie" on this forum I'm astounded at the interest here, pleasantly so. Ever more reason to initiate getting kit together.

Possibly one of those Euro style archeology experiments should be considered where one group marches to the other's Fort. Something like the Alps crossing. It's only 861.18 or 902.19 miles +/- between the two depending on established route taken. I only foresee possible trouble when you get to Detroit. Keep those weapons in good order and scouts out ahead and on the flanks. How are the Border crossings on the Canadian side with long pointy things? OK, bad idea as NO American is ever granted that much vacation time.

Saturnal, do you have any progress pics you could post on the thread?

Additionally, I ask myself why the resolution On G. E. is so much clearer for the Castra Lafe site. Both are pretty much out in the middle of nowhere.

Valete,

B. Yurko Mikels
Sextus Mummius Tiro

Aut disce, aut discede!
Either learn, or leave!
Where are you located? We can provide a tunic and possbily some sandals. The event is a training weekend and if you are willing to travel, you should think of attending. We will be having sling, archery, pilum and rock throwing ( from the fort) competitions but the focus is really on learning the basics of being Roman a soldier. Of course there will be raids on the fort, orienteering, guard duty and everybodys favorite ... ditch digging. I expect this will be the best attended Roman event in Canada. There is no problem crossing the border because you won't be bringing fire arms. There is another Roman fort just 90 minutes down the road from Castra Aestiva and that event will take place in early Sept. TQS
T. Quartinius Saturnalus
Legio XXX

AKA Tom Ross
Salve Saturnal,

If you run your curser over the small "house" symbol under my Avatar you'll discover I live in Algonquin, IL USA. I notice very few on the forum bother to fill out that portion of their profile as it's strictly voluntary. Personally, I think it interesting to discover where posting members are from as there is a lot of knowledge of Ancient Studies flirting about. Perhaps most feel it's a security risk of sorts.

Regardless, I wholeheartedly appreciate your offer! However, as the site is 480 mi +/- from my place I think more advanced planning would result in a happier experience. For me, at 2.5 weeks out I can't afford to be that spontaneous. Additionally, I currently possess "0" items of kit but am actively working on rectifying the basics of that. I believe I'd need more than a "tunic and possibly some sandals" to keep from looking severely out of place not to mention even remotely prepared.

Do you have an address for the other site being held in September? That might be an option.

Please post a few images after your event or you can send them to my email account. I'd be very interested in how the site looks. Castra Lafe is easily found on the internet and to their advantage I dare say.

Best wishes good luck this year,

B. Yurko Mikels
Sextus Mummius Tiro

Aut disce, aut discede!
Either learn, or leave!
Quote:Salve Saturnal,

If you run your curser over the small "house" symbol under my Avatar you'll discover I live in Algonquin, IL USA. I notice very few on the forum bother to fill out that portion of their profile as it's strictly voluntary. Personally, I think it interesting to discover where posting members are from as there is a lot of knowledge of Ancient Studies flirting about. Perhaps most feel it's a security risk of sorts.

Regardless, I wholeheartedly appreciate your offer! However, as the site is 480 mi +/- from my place I think more advanced planning would result in a happier experience. For me, at 2.5 weeks out I can't afford to be that spontaneous. Additionally, I currently possess "0" items of kit but am actively working on rectifying the basics of that. I believe I'd need more than a "tunic and possibly some sandals" to keep from looking severely out of place not to mention even remotely prepared.

Do you have an address for the other site being held in September? That might be an option.

Please post a few images after your event or you can send them to my email account. I'd be very interested in how the site looks. Castra Lafe is easily found on the internet and to their advantage I dare say.

Best wishes good luck this year,

with a little planning we can fix some of that for you I now have at least 2 suits of armour and at leas one extra gladius/belt/etc as do others if your ever interested let us know and we will see to it that you can have a good experience .
Vale, Bryan
(Titus Rustius Lupus)
Armatus Et Ebrius

LEG XXX, Ulpia Victrix
Ontario, Canada

Thanks for having patience with me...
The event attracted 50 to 60 reenactors and we were able to have an effective barbarian foe to fight. The fort now has corner towers and the Celts were unable to enter the fort even after 5 attempts. The Romans also completed a long drawn out fighting retreat effectively. We managed to find some time to engage in some historical archaeology and were able to assess various attack and defend scenarios. Particularly interesting was an attempt at a bulls head formation whose intent was to split the Roman line. It nearly worked but the Romans were able to flank the attacking Celts. Had the Celts not told us about the type of formation they had intended to use, we Romans would have been easily over run. Overall the weekend was a great success and we will have an other event on the Memorial Day weekend in 2012.
For information, please contact Tom Ross [email protected]
T. Quartinius Saturnalus
Legio XXX

AKA Tom Ross
By far one of the best events I've attended.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Legion: TBD

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Castra Aestiva VII Tillsonburg, Memorial Weekend TQS 7 5,016 04-20-2016, 10:55 PM
Last Post: Bruce Mayhugh
  Castra Aestiva VIII Tillsonburg, Ontario Canada TQS 3 1,486 02-04-2013, 07:52 PM
Last Post: TQS
  Castra Aestiva VI May 28 & 29, 2 Titus Quartinius Saturnal 0 973 11-26-2010, 08:13 PM
Last Post: Titus Quartinius Saturnal