Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for Book recommendations
I'm looking for some books recommendations. I'm especially interested in the Roman army but Rome and Greece in general is fine.<br>
<br>
One that I've enjoyed (and believe to be fairly acurate) is<br>
"Warfare in the Classical World: By John Gibson Warry "<br>
<br>
I've heard good things about<br>
"Greece and Rome at War: By Peter Connolly "<br>
<br>
Are they very similar or are there enough differences to warrant a purchase?<br>
<br>
I saw "The Ancient City: Life in Classical Athens & Rome<br>
By Peter Connolly", and I have to say I'm tempted. Is it any good?<br>
<br>
Other books that I'm considering and would like opinions on are:<br>
<br>
1) Roman Warfare (History of Warfare)<br>
by Adrian Goldsworthy,<br>
<br>
2)Eagle in the Snow: A Novel<br>
by Wallace Breem<br>
<br>
3)Byzantine Wars,The<br>
by John Haldon<br>
<br>
4)Byzantium: The Early Centuries<br>
by John Julius Norwich<br>
<br>
5)Meditations<br>
by Marcus Aurelius-Modern Library translation (This one I'm especially concerned about. Is it an enjoyable read after translated? Interesting?)<br>
<br>
<br>
I'd appreciate any opinions on the above books as well<br>
as other recommendations you might have. <p></p><i></i>
"The Ancient City" is wonderful; as a classics teacher I'm constantly referring to it. Connolly's illustrations are superb and always based on extensive research; the text, by Hazel Dodge, is very sound and informative.<br>
<br>
I've got both the Warry and "Greece and Rome at War"; I find the Connolly book more useful but I'm not a military expert, just a dabbler.<br>
<br>
"Eagle in the Snow" is excellent - thank the gods it's now back in print (another positive "Gladiator" side effect, I believe); I've read a lot of historical fiction and this is one of the more impressive.<br>
<br>
Anything by John Julius Norwich is worth a read; he's a real polymath and his written style is superb. There is a condensed version of his Byzantium series available, but the individual volumes are well worth the extra.<br>
<br>
Even as a Latin teacher I found Marcus Aurelius hard going; I read his stuff years ago at the pace of one meditation a day. But I don't have the right temperament for philosophy, I fear.<br>
<br>
I haven't read the others you mention, though another Goldsworthy book, "The Roman Army at War 100BC-AD200" is fascinating.<br>
<br>
Shaun <p></p><i></i>
the books which are listed in the bookstore of Roman army.com are all highly recommended. And, if you purchase through RA.com, RAT gets some of the money!<br>
<br>
(a little salesmen talk...) <p>Volo anaticulam cumminosam meam!</p><i></i>
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.
Salve,<br>
<br>
The index should point to relevant threads to answer some of those questions (egRoman warfare or Good ones).<br>
<br>
Warry's <em>Warfare in the classical world</em> and Connolly's <em>Greece and Rome at war</em> cover much the same ground and the text and illustrations comparable in quality. A more recent introduction to the generally interested reader would be Goldsworthy's <em>Roman warfare</em>. For a good introduction with annotations and source references I can recommend Campbell, B., <em>War and society in imperial Rome</em> (London 2002) 208p.<br>
<br>
Haldon, J., <em>The Byzantine wars</em> (Stroud 2001) 160p, gives an overview of a selection of campaigns of the Byzantine period, covering both the fighting and the characteristics of the Roman army at the time. A nice read though if working on a limited budget more value to the money would be provided by getting a more detailed overview of the early Byzantine army by the same author: Haldon, J., <em>Warfare, state and society in the Byzantine world 565-1204</em> (London 1999) 389p.<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
Sander van Dorst <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=sandervandorst@romanarmytalk>Sander van Dorst</A> at: 9/12/03 10:53 am<br></i>
Peter has a new book on Pompeii published on the 16th <p></p><i></i>
Quod imperatum fuerit facimus et ad omnem tesseram parati erimus
By whom you mean Peter Connolly? in addition to his other book on Pompeii? Do you have an isbn ?<br>
<br>
He has a new book on the colliseum:<br>
<br>
www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obi...61-4399647 <p>Legio XX<br>
Fortius Conamur<br>
<br>
</p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=richsc@romanarmytalk>RichSC</A> at: 10/18/03 12:43 am<br></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?