Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1st/2nd century Thracian cavalry helmet
Thought this may be of interest, though it's Thracian it's similar enough to other cavalry helmets to be relevant to Roman cavalry helmets.

http://archaeologyinbulgaria.com/2015/05...estovitsa/
[Image: war-hemlet-brestovitsa-2.jpg]

apparantly it has battle damage too
This reminds me of the Hallaton Helmet found in Leicestershire.

I would query why it is thought to be Thracian, however; the evidence produced is that it is called so because it was found in Bulgaria.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Thrace was a client kingdom from 20 BC until it was annexed by Rome in 46 AD. If the helmet dates to this period and was found inside Thrace it might justifiably be called "Thracian". It does appear to be identical to contemporary Roman types, though the 'hair decoration' found on many Roman cavalry helmets is often described as being of Thracian origin.
Martin

Fac me cocleario vomere!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gallienus mobile heavy cavalry - Mid 3rd century Garys152 3 2,617 11-02-2016, 11:19 PM
Last Post: Renatus
  4th Century Roman Cavalry Officer archive Caballo 10 3,298 07-11-2011, 08:41 PM
Last Post: Renatus
  3rd Century Roman Cavalry Illustration Johnny Shumate 24 6,438 10-10-2007, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Titvs Statilivs Castvs