Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman weapons at Illerup
SALVE<br>
<br>
You can see some impressive photos of third century weaponry at Illerup (Norwegen) at:<br>
<br>
www.illerup.com/d/d.htm<br>
<br>
Vale<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Please can you write something in english to help me understand what I am looking at? Where are these finds located? <p></p><i></i>
Jeffery Wyss
"Si vos es non secui of solutio tunc vos es secui of preciptate."
<br>
<br>
Illerup is in Denmark, the weapons pictured is<br>
a mixture of Roman weapons and germanic weapons.<br>
<br>
There are some articles in other languages at:<br>
<br>
www.illerup.com/e/e.htm<br>
<br>
Cheers<br>
Wagnijo <p></p><i></i>
I'll be happy to translate but there's a bit much, so should I post here?<br>
<br>
Oh, and by the way Illerup is in Denmark ;-)<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Hi there,<br>
<br>
Illerup is not in Norway, but in Denmark. some 15.000 artifact were dug up in a former bog. The finds range from spears and swords to horse harnesses and several other items. The period is 200 - 500 A.D. As far as I know most of the collection is at Moesgard Museum, Denmark. Most likely, these artifacts were ritually scarificed, parts of the collection were demages before deposing them into the bog.<br>
<br>
Together with other bog finds, like Nydam, it seems that wars about resources were fought in that time in the western baltic area. Unfortunately we have no written evidence for this.<br>
<br>
Hope this helps.<br>
<br>
Cheers,<br>
<br>
Helge<br>
<br>
P.S. By the way, Denmark has the largest of finds of Roman sword blades outside Italy<br>
<p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=richomeres>Richomeres</A> at: 10/8/03 12:30 pm<br></i>
If you run away from an archer...
SALVE<br>
<br>
Sorry, but by a distraction i say Norwegen. Yes Illerup it's Dennmark.<br>
<br>
At principal web page there are some pdf articles in english about that.<br>
<br>
VALE <p></p><i></i>
Some great photos there. Some of these items seem to have been in remarkable shape when first discovered. But I found the saddle reconstruction drawing puzzling. Breech strap and breast strap, but no cinch. What the hell is with that???<br>
<br>
Gregg<br>
<p></p><i></i>
<em>But I found the saddle reconstruction drawing puzzling. Breech strap and breast strap, but no cinch. What the hell is with that???</em><br>
<br>
Cavalry anti-theft device.<br>
<br>
Mike Bishop <p></p><i></i>
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there