Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A sad day for Japan
The earthquake and tsunami which hit Japan today were very devastating.

[Image: media_xl_555823.jpg]

[Image: media_xl_4096412.jpg]

[Image: media_xl_4096411.jpg]

My thoughts are with the Japanese now.

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
They're saying 8.9 now.

Looks pretty bad, and soon to be "shared" with others in the western Pacific.
"Fugit irreparabile tempus" (Irrecoverable time glides away) Virgil

Ron Andrea
First Christchurch, New Zealand now Japan. Looks like there is a bit of geological activity in the "Pacific ring of fire"
Phil
pmel018
Philip melhop
I fear the full scale of the disaster will become apparent when day breaks in Japan.

Cry

KM
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
A friend in Hawai'i posted that the water receded out so far that she could see the coral reef (now exposed) below Diamond Head. Fortunately, family and friends report that the waves so far have not been destructive. However, they have been warned to remain watchful and more may be on the way.

It would seem that this geological activity is moving clockwise around the Pacific -- so, is Alaska next?

The 1994 Northridge quake was a 7.1 (downgraded to 6.7) and even though we were living several miles away in North Hollywood, it was a wild morning of flying books, frightened cats, and forcing open doors to free my daughter from her room. That said, an 8.9.... I can not even begin to imagine what that would have felt like.

The Japanese are resilient, and they have dealt with worse, but this will test them.

:?

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
I would like to hope that some of the smaller and low level islands I went to such as Tuvalu, Funafuti, Tarawa, and others have not been hit so hard for six to ten foot waves would swamp them.
Brian Stobbs
There are medical relief organizations all over the place. I gave to the Imternational Medical Corps. We can all give something, even if it not much. We all mostly admire Rome. Rome seemed to have a history of giving relief more so than some. I am sure RATers would be in like spirit.

Ralph
Now it seems that one reactor of a nuclear plant has exploded and the core perhaps melted down. Not good Confusedad: ...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Looks like a 2nd Tsunami is heading for the pacific coast of Japan...estimated 2-3 meter high waves...

Legion: TBD
Lucky for them, the tsunami did not materialise..

Although I admit, 'lucky' is hardly a word to use for Japan. Probably ten of thousands dead or missing, a crippled infrastructure, two nuclear plants with severe problems... :-(
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
If anyone wishes to find out all the info' on the problems of Japan there is a very interesting Wiki article on Google Earth, type in Tokyo move north and click the large red earth quake symbol off shore. There is a tremendous amount of information including all the latest news casts.
Brian Stobbs