Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
new and looking for a group
Hi Everyone,

My husband and I are new here and cannot wait to get involved in roman reencating.
Problem is, I am in need of direction, dont know where to start.
Help!!! :roll: would be much appreciated.
we are from nj and ready to jump right in.
He has had previous re-enacting experience, he does civil war. (which i have no interest in) maybe its my greek descent (ha)!
so please any info that could be provided will be much appreciated.
thanks,
Tammy
Welcome, I'm sure there are plenty of group that would be happy to have you come aboard.

But it would help to know what area you are located in to steer you toward a group that is in you area.

As far direction, the first advice I'll give, and I'm sure it will be supported here, is: Don't buy anything! Not yet at least. You'll want to go and meet a group find out what their requirements are, what time period they are doing and what their standards of authenticity are. Further you might to make sure you will even like doing it. The worst thing I can imagine is investing a bunch of money into equipment to start a hobby and then finding out I hate it.

So first thing is, Where are you guys at?
M.VAL.BRUTUS
Brandon Barnes
Legio VI Vicrix
www.legionsix.org
thank you so much for the reply. as far as the time period, around the early 100;S BC.
I have been fascinated with that time period as well as cleopatras era forever. some say i could have been her twin! lol.

we live in new jersey. I haven"t found any groups around here.
Well, I will say that it is not easy to find a group that does the late republic, that is actually the period I would love to do. But most group groups out the tend to lean toward the early and middle Imperial era, the 1st-2nd Century CE.

But you might to contact this group.

Legio XIIII Gemina Martia Victrix
Robert McNamara
7310 Ripley Hill Rd.
Homer, NY 13077
607-749-6110

LegioXIIII MontaniSemperLiberi
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LegioMontaniSemperLiberi/

I'm not sure if they are still active, or how close they are to you, everything else I could find was in Canada or in the Northern New England area, or middle and lower East Coast region.

Also if you want to start the simplest place and most logical, is soft kit items. This would be clothing items, tunics and such. and if you look on the Leg XX site Matt Amt has a great tutorial on how to make a tunic.
M.VAL.BRUTUS
Brandon Barnes
Legio VI Vicrix
www.legionsix.org
maybe we should start our own then ??!! lol. that era fascinates me.
thank you so much for the info, i will be sure to contact him.
All you need to start a group is your gear...if there are two of you that is even better.

Legion: TBD